VMware Communities
UnlimitedTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

transport (vmdb) error pipe connection has been broken

Hi,

I'm having issues with my VMware Fusion 12 opening the VM. The error is as it says in the subject. There is no reason im aware of why this is coming up, it just started happening randomly.

When i try to power on the vm it comes up with this error. it running Fusion 12 latest version and MacOS Monterey latest version. It is an Intel i7 based processor. Was working fine till it randomly stopped working. 

I've attached the logs with the error to this post.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've examined your vmware.log file. The following entry occurs just before the crash of the vmware process for your virtual machine (this is the cause IMO of the "pipe connection has been broken"  error)

2022-07-21T05:35:20.053Z In(05) mks FILE: File_CreateDirectoryHierarchyEx: Failure on '/tmp/vmware-Caroline'. Error = 13
2022-07-21T05:35:20.053Z Wa(03) mks MKSControlMgr: Unable to Create folder /tmp/vmware-Caroline/mksctrl.

The "error 13" message here is saying permission is denied for creation of the file /tmp/vmware-Caroline/mksctrl

/tmp is linked to /private/tmp. Please check the permissions of the /private/tmp folder. They should be

ls -al /private/tmp
drwxrwxrwt  30 root  wheel  960 Jul 21 11:04 tmp

(permissions 1777 or rwxrwxrwt, owner root, group wheel)

If there's a directory of vmware-Caroline in /tmp, please make sure it's deleted before trying to restart Fusion.

I remember you posting something similar about privilege issues on /private/var/tmp directory a few days ago.  Is this the same Mac? If so, I don't believe it's a coincidence that there are permissions issue in the /private directory hierarchy once again. I suspect that something or someone has changed the permissions from their default values. Because other permissions may be changed from their defaults (which means other problems or flaky behavior is waiting to happen), you might want to check that entire /private directory hierarchy against a cleanly installed Mac to see if there are other deviations from default permissions.

At the worst if too much has changed, you might want to consider a full clean install of macOS on this Mac, reinstall applications, and only import home directories from a backup. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you also attach the vmware.log file found in the virtual machine’s bundle directory? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
UnlimitedTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Technogeezer 

I can't see a vmware.log file in the vm's directory. I have performed a diagnostics log extraction from within vmware and this is what i have. I have compiled a tree directory on all the logs, let me know if there is one you see in there that is the one your asking for.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Collecting a diagnostic log bundle through Fusion unfortunately does not capture the vmware.log file of individual VMs. Did you look inside the VM’s bundle? The file is found alongside the vmdk and vmx files of the VM. 

Navigate via the Finder to the directory that holds the VM, right click on the VM and select “Show Package Contents”. A window should open and you should find the file there. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
UnlimitedTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi @Technogeezer 

Yes thanks for explaining, not too familiar with vmware.

I've attached the log

0 Kudos
UnlimitedTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

incase these logs are also useful

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've examined your vmware.log file. The following entry occurs just before the crash of the vmware process for your virtual machine (this is the cause IMO of the "pipe connection has been broken"  error)

2022-07-21T05:35:20.053Z In(05) mks FILE: File_CreateDirectoryHierarchyEx: Failure on '/tmp/vmware-Caroline'. Error = 13
2022-07-21T05:35:20.053Z Wa(03) mks MKSControlMgr: Unable to Create folder /tmp/vmware-Caroline/mksctrl.

The "error 13" message here is saying permission is denied for creation of the file /tmp/vmware-Caroline/mksctrl

/tmp is linked to /private/tmp. Please check the permissions of the /private/tmp folder. They should be

ls -al /private/tmp
drwxrwxrwt  30 root  wheel  960 Jul 21 11:04 tmp

(permissions 1777 or rwxrwxrwt, owner root, group wheel)

If there's a directory of vmware-Caroline in /tmp, please make sure it's deleted before trying to restart Fusion.

I remember you posting something similar about privilege issues on /private/var/tmp directory a few days ago.  Is this the same Mac? If so, I don't believe it's a coincidence that there are permissions issue in the /private directory hierarchy once again. I suspect that something or someone has changed the permissions from their default values. Because other permissions may be changed from their defaults (which means other problems or flaky behavior is waiting to happen), you might want to check that entire /private directory hierarchy against a cleanly installed Mac to see if there are other deviations from default permissions.

At the worst if too much has changed, you might want to consider a full clean install of macOS on this Mac, reinstall applications, and only import home directories from a backup. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
UnlimitedTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting, i did check that on this computer.

This is for a client. The first computer was the /tmp issue that i managed to track down. This is their second computer having issues. I will have another look into the directory permissions and let you know.

Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
UnlimitedTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Technogeezer 

Problem solved. it was /private/tmp this time not /private/var/tmp that needed those permissions

Now i'll know how to analyse the logs for these errors, thanks for the help.

0 Kudos