VMware Communities
supercat
Contributor
Contributor

tcpdump captures only outbound traffic

This is very strange.... For some reason tcpdump captures/displays only outbound traffic. I am using a Mac (Leopard 10.5.6) running VMware Fusion 2.0.1 with a linux host instance. Here are the details:

Mac (VMware Host) - 192.168.1.20 (initiating all pings) -

[ping]-----> Linux (VMware Guest) - 192.168.1.25, network interface in bridge mode (host being pinged)

Please see screenshot - mac2linux.png - I start a

ping from the mac to the linux vm (bottom left terminal

window). And on my mac I also setup a second terminal window running

tcpdump to capture the traffic, (top left terminal window), During the ping tcpdump only shows ICMP echo

requests being sent (top left window) - it does not show the replys comming back. Yet, on the linux terminal

running tcpdump I see bidirectional traffic being shown in the terminal

window. And the ping output shows that it is successful.

Note: I also showed the exact command syntax that I used via

command line recall in the screenshot.

Please see screenshot - linux2mac.png - Another test - I ping from the linux vm to

the mac host (see screenshot linux2mac.png) the pings appear successful to

the linux system based on the ping output but the mac now only shows echo replys, no echo

receives.

I should also noted that my research (which has turned up very little on this) shows that at one point ESX suffered from a similar issue (see bottom of this page). But there is no specific resolution listed:

I have tried pinging over to systems on the network and tcpdump shows full bidirectional traffic. This only seems to happen when pinging from a vmware host to a vmware guest. I have also tried the above scenario on VMware Workstation (running on Linux) and tcpdump works fine. It seems to be a specific issue with VMware Fusion.

Can anyone explain this and offer a solution?

Thank you in advance!!!

0 Kudos
0 Replies