VMware Communities
xchangepatewon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

switching between Win 7 VM and Mac OS (full screen)

i just got a mac about a week ago to start understanding/testing them to see if it will be a viable option for our company. i also purchased vmware fusion to run windows 7 on. i have been looking/trying all night to figure out if & how do i switch between mac os x and windows 7, specifically when i have win 7 in full screen mode?

we had a cisco consultant in our office awhile back and he was using the same setup, but i swear i saw him toggling  back an forth between the OS's in full screen mode. he would press some keys on the keyboard and the windows 7 screen would slide into place on the monitor over the Mac OS. i asked him what he was using and he said fusion.

is this possible to do?

i believe i installed fusion light instead of the full version, would that be the cause? i would of installed the full version but i didnt want to install the AV that came with it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gbullman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Another way of switching is to use the Mac's Command+Tab (application switching) to change between Mac applications and out of the Full Screen VM.  I am always using Spaces and have VMware "locked" to one of the spaces.  When I switch as described above it typically takes me to another space that is all Mac apps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaZaKKaZaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hello,

First welcome to the world of VMware virtualization on a Mac.  🙂

When the VM is open, press the Control+Command+Return button.  That will bring the VM to fullscreen, and I'm pretty sure that's what you want.

Press the same set of keys together again to get out of full screen mode.

if you have any questions on what the key symbols for various mac shortcuts are, you can check out the following link:

http://www.danrodney.com/mac/

Alternatively, you can go to the View menu and choose Full Screen.  Remember the key sequence though, because sometimes the menu disappears from full screen mode.

Fusion "light" (inappropriate terminology IMHO) is fine.  it's the full product.  the only thing missing is the McAfee AV.

Happy VM'ing,

Trevor

www.vmtrooper.com

VCAP5-DCD,DCA * http://www.vmtrooper.com * If any of my responses have been helpful in any way, please rate accordingly. Thank you and Happy VM'ing! 😄
0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Another way of switching is to use the Mac's Command+Tab (application switching) to change between Mac applications and out of the Full Screen VM.  I am always using Spaces and have VMware "locked" to one of the spaces.  When I switch as described above it typically takes me to another space that is all Mac apps.

0 Kudos
xchangepatewon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry i forgot to post this earlier, but i figured out how to utilize  the spaces feature in OS X to do what i wanted to do in regards to windows 7 running in full screen mode. i also setup one space right now for all windows apps/OS and another for my mac applications. im sure that will change as i continue to tinker/play with the mac/windows dual OS setup. i really like the unity feature in fusion so that could change my setup quite a bit.

thanks for you assistance!!

0 Kudos