VMware Communities
camner
Contributor
Contributor

static IP connection not working after import of Parallels vm into Fusion 8

I am moving from Parallels 10 to Fusion 8, and I imported a Parallels 10 VM that had a static IP connection.  After a successful import into Fusion, the VM had a DHCP connection that works perfectly.  However, when I go to set a static IP address, the network connection is lost.  The network settings are a bridged autodetect connection.  I am sure that the IP address and subnet mask are set correctly.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi camner,

Welcome to Fusion community. Smiley Happy

Which kind of VM you imported, I could not reproduce your problem with a Windows 7 VM. Is there any error message in the VM when this issue occur?

0 Kudos
camner
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it's accurate to say "welcome BACK to the Fusion community," because I went over to the "dark side" (Parallels) for a few years before returning recently (I had a problem 3 years ago with a VM that I couldn't troubleshoot and somehow the process of importing it into Parallels seemed to fix it).  I've always had a slight preference for Fusion, and decided to come back when Fusion 8 came out.

There's no error message, just no internet connection.

After fooling around for a while, I did come up with a workaround, though I never did figure out what the problem was.  I noted what the static IP address was while still in Parallels, reset the Parallels VM to DHCP, imported into Fusion, and then reset the network connection to static.  That seemed to work for me.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos