VMware Communities
davidguzman88
Contributor
Contributor

speed performance dilemma in Fusion 3.1

Guys I'm in need of some serious help, after several attempts technical support has failed to help my situation, so you guys are my last resort. Here's a brief description:

I'm using the latest Fusion 3.1 and recently upgraded from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro. I'm using a 2.5 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 4 gb of 667 DDR2. I'm a designer and frequently use Apps such as Adobe CS4 ,mostly Photoshop and Illustrator, but not all the time. The apps I use daily on the host machine are Safari, Itunes. I use fusion predominantly for one software only, Rhinoceros 4.0 which is a 3-d modeling software. The performance in both Fusion 3 and 3.1 when running this sofware is extremely slow, both on the host and vm. I have allocated 1.5 gb to the vm out of the 4 gb I have on the computer, but the performance is below par.

any suggestions for increasing the speed in both the host machine and vm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if there are any designers out there with a similar setup, what settings do you have so that i can compare?

again the applications that I run daily are itunes, safari, and rhino in fusion 3.1.

Thanks

D

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Make sure you've only allocated 1 CPU to the VM. A 7200 RPM hard drive also can make a big difference in performance. Last, did you build a new VM or upgrade XP? It's MUCH better to build a new Win7 one because of the partition alignment situation.

0 Kudos
davidguzman88
Contributor
Contributor

I have only 1 cpu allocated, and i did build a new vm instead of upgrading xp. any more suggestions or should I just resort to bootcamp?

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I find windows 7 to be obviously slower than xp, and to use much more RAM. I suggest using xp64 if you can. It's fast, solid, and needs fewer resources than win7.

davidguzman88
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the suggestion.. i guess ill try that or use bootcamp, which is inconvenient and the whole reasoning behind buying fusion. thanks again

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Turn off Aero - that's about all I can suggest beyond checking how much free memory and CPU are on the host (activity monitor).

0 Kudos