VMware Communities
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

should I update tools from 10.1.6?

Not sure where to put this question but I am using Fusion, very successfully. I just cured a problem by deleting a CAF directory and tools reinstalled and everything now works fine.

But I noticed that my version of tools is 10.1.6.   I downloaded 11.2.6 but cant see how to install it?Should i just stop worrying or do I need to update tools?  Do I do this directly or through Windows 10 add/remove programs? i did download a 126mb file but there is no installation file and no way of updating through control panel??

Moderator edit by wila: Moved thread from VMware {code} To VMware Fusion discussions

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've reported your thread, notifying moderators to move it to the Fusion area - this {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Normally you use the VMware Tools version that is bundled with VMware Fusion.

You can upgrade to a newer version if you want.
You're not mentioning what VMware Fusion version you are using, nor what type of file you downloaded (.exe / .iso ) for VMware Tools.

If it is an .iso file then you have to attach it as a CD image.

If it is an .exe file then when you execute it, it will place a .iso file somewhere on your system (IIRC under program files \ VMware ) and you'll have to move that .iso file to the host so you can attach it as a CD image.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos