VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

shareing between virrtual machines

is it possible to shares files/folders and drives between virtual machines, or is it only VM >> host,,, host >> VM ?

Reason being, i'm setting up a test environment helping out someone with Shadowprotect and ImageManager. on the other.. I am wanting to share USB drive from one VM to the other.. to simulate a physical network and consolidate to imagemanager..

I'm not sure if this is possible...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Nothing built into the product, no.  And you can't share a single USB device between ANY two systems at the same time.

However, you can set up a network share between the two guests, just like if they were both physical computers.  If you are using bridged mode, then they should already be able to see each other.  If another method, then you may want to add a second virtual network adapter to each guest, and select Custom connection, and specify the same VMnet switch (any of the unused ones - 2-7, 9).  Then inside each guest, configure that new adapter with a static IP address on the same subnet.  Then they will have a direct network connection between them.

0 Kudos
monkeynut
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I can share resources between VMs and actual machines Linux/macOS/Windows. You do this in exactly the same way as you would with physical machines. Make sure that you configure bridged mode for networking as that'll get you a unique IP address if using DHCP. I can actually run multiple VMs on my desktop and network between them.

As has been mentioned if you have a USB drive it can only be attached to a single VM or the host.

If I do a search say in a Windows machine it'll find matches on all networked machines virtual or not for those powered up.

Have fun,

MN

0 Kudos