VMware Communities
vmfh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

set volume uuid

How can I set the volume uuid? By that I mean the value that System Information shows under Hardware > Storage > [disk] > Volume UUID.

Only close reference to this that I found, is https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1021189.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I don't think you can set it, but if you can.. check out the disk descriptor file.

For retrieving the UUID you can first enumerate all the disks / partitions with

diskutil list

Then for each partition query the details.

eg.

diskutil info /dev/disk1s1 | grep "Volume UUID"

PS: Looked at your link.

vmkfstools is a vSphere command, so that won't work on macOS 🙂

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Which guest operating system and what utility are you using to obtain the Volume UUID? Can you elaborate on what is the disk and volume that you are trying to obtain and set the volume UUID for?

Typically from my experience any volume UUIDs are the responsibility of the operating system. The only thing that VMware would have an idea about is a serial number for the virtual disk device. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
vmfh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I emended the subject of my post.

The OS is 10.14.6, the volume HFS+.

In addition to the link I mentioned, I also found https://superuser.com/questions/344706/how-does-one-change-the-uuid-of-a-volume-on-mac-os-x-to-a-spe... but it's too convoluted.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately that’s totally macOS related as to how it assigns UUIDs to disks and volumes.  Nothing to do with Fusion.

in Monterey, “diskutil info -all” will display all UUIDs for volumes known by the system. Don’t have a High Sierra system to see if diskutil on that version will display that. 

Also, I think that Disk Utility will display the UUID of volumes. 

update: Take a look at man pages for hfs.util and apfs.util - they seem to have options for changing UUIDs. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
vmfh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, they set new/random values, so I cannot set one myself.

0 Kudos
flash5ky
Contributor
Contributor

hfs.util can set your own uuid on hfs+ filesystem

0 Kudos