VMware Communities
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

selecting multiple items

How do I select multiple items from my MB Pro keyboard (and an extended keyboard). The usual ctrl-click option of course yields a right click (and I would prefer not to turn off this option) and the Mac version of shift-clicking also doesn't work.

I'm also having problems getting fn-8 to work. I have turned off Mac keyboard shortcuts so Expose has stopped opening, but I also need to use all of my function keys.

I have tried searching the knowlegebase and could not find a comprehensive doc about using the Mac keyboard in Windows (aside from the one short doc that is also reproduced in the documentation that came in the box). Does such a doc exist and if so where do I find it?

Thanks for everyone's help. Happy holidays!

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The documentation is online available from Help > VMware Fusion help. It has a TOC, is indexed and searchable.

To enable ctrl-clicking for multiple selection, you have to disable ctrl-click as the right-mouse button by going to the VMware Fusion menu > Preferences > UNcheck "Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts".

To enable all of your function keys, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > check "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" In Tiger, I believe the same label calls the function keys something else, but it has the same meaning.

After you disable ctrl-click as the right click, you miss that, so to enable a "native" right-click on a MacBook/MacBook Pro, in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad, check "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad and then click the button". It take some practice but it works well. This works in all programs including OS X, Parallels, etc because it's a hardware-generated right-click.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The documentation is online available from Help > VMware Fusion help. It has a TOC, is indexed and searchable.

To enable ctrl-clicking for multiple selection, you have to disable ctrl-click as the right-mouse button by going to the VMware Fusion menu > Preferences > UNcheck "Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts".

To enable all of your function keys, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > check "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" In Tiger, I believe the same label calls the function keys something else, but it has the same meaning.

After you disable ctrl-click as the right click, you miss that, so to enable a "native" right-click on a MacBook/MacBook Pro, in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad, check "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad and then click the button". It take some practice but it works well. This works in all programs including OS X, Parallels, etc because it's a hardware-generated right-click.

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much (though I still haven't found the online docs you mentioned).

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using version 1.0 of Fusion, that help menu item may not be there, so instead use this link:

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/fusion_pubs.html

Local VMware Fusion help is available in 1.1.

0 Kudos