VMware Communities
aliasme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

screen resize issues

I change the size of the VMWare window a lot. For example when opening PDFs as reference docs in OS X to have side-by-side the Fusion window. Very rarely does the refresh occur properly. Usually the screen is black and I have to click around in the dark to minimize the app without changing data (which is scary when I have a database table open), minimize the app, refresh the destkop, unlock the toolbar and move it around, and then readjust the size of the Fusion window again when I notice there are black bands around the client desktop resolution. Upon the 2nd or 3rd time resizing the Fusion window the client resolution seems to snap into place correctly. In short, there are clearly bugs in the resize routines which need to be fixed.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

What guest? What's your hardware?

0 Kudos
aliasme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This happens in Win 64 and XP Pro. Hardware is Mac Pro 2.66x2 (quad core), 2GB, 768 to vm, about 200MB free on the system. Monitor is Apple 30" cinema. I have found I can get it to display right by setting the window size, then grabbing it making it more narrow, then widening, back and forth 4-5 times slowly and it finally fills correctly.

0 Kudos
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using Beta 3 ? You best bet is to open a support request to get the matter investigated.

0 Kudos
aliasme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good suggestion. Done.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

Try adding the following to the .vmx file:

svga.maxWidth=2560

svga.maxHeight=1600

svga.vramSize="167772160"

This solved the problem for me on my 30" Cinema display.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

But, yes, this hopefully will be fixed in Beta 4. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

blackpuma's svga.maxWidth suggestion is the correct one.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In my testing, it looks like you really only need to add the Width and Height settings. From what I understand, VMs are hard capped at 128M video memory, so even trying to force vramsize to 160M as noted here will have no effect. I ran a quick check and dxdiag and video properties still show 128M with this setting enabled.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, the max. size for Video RAM is 128Mb.

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

I simply did a copy/paste from what other people reported earlier. I didn't take the time to test all combinations. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
aviksaroy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, sorry for this newbie question, but where can I find the .vmx file? A search on my VM didn't turn it up.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, sorry for this newbie question, but where can I find the .vmx file? A search on my VM didn't turn it up.

0 Kudos
aviksaroy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks etung. So I modified the .vmx file in the recommended manner. I am only able to resize the screen to 2359 x 1502 (hoping for 2560 x 1600). I'm using Fusion version 1.1.1 (72241) with Windows XP Professional x64. Is there anything else I need to do?

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

You may need to increase the size for Video RAM

svga.vramSize = "167772160"

0 Kudos
aviksaroy
Contributor
Contributor

I did that -- I used the following code described above:

svga.maxWidth=2560

svga.maxHeight=1600

svga.vramSize="167772160"

When I check Display Properties within Windows XP, it appears that the maximum resolution I am able to get is 2360 x 1770.

0 Kudos
aviksaroy
Contributor
Contributor

I should mention that I get that max resolution by using 3000 and 1800 in the .vmx file.

0 Kudos