VMware Communities
mjeshurun
Contributor
Contributor

safely remove hardware in active actions

I have recently upgraded to vmware fusion 2 from 1.1.3 on my Macbook 10.5.5

After upgrading the new virtual machine, and reinstalling vmware tools

the safely remove hardware is always showing in the active action on the lower right side of the screen in Windows XP Professional.

the hardware showing are :

VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)

Game Port for Creative

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

USB Root Hub

Inter(R) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

USB Rut Hub

USB Composite Device

USB Human Interface Device

HID-compliant mouse

USB Human Interface Device

HID-compliant mouse

Generic USB Port

• It does show two USB Human Interface Device --- HID-compliant mouse on the list. this is not typo.

this list seems to be showing the contents of the VMware tools drivers,

however, when i was running VMware 1.1.3 the safely removal Hardware list never showed them.

Is there a way to make them not appear in the list as removable devices?

thank you,

Michael Jeshurun

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I just upgraded to 10.5.5, and Fusion 2.0 on a MacBook Pro. Overall things seem OK so far, but I too have items in my Safely Remove Hardware icon in the System Tray. Why are these there, will this cause any problems?

In my case the items are;

VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Intel(R) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

I did not turn on 3D Acceleration at this point, and I have set Fusion up Never optimize for games.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

These are expected. It's laying the groundwork for hot add/remove of virtual hardware.

0 Kudos
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

without playing with the show/hide settings of the task bar, how does one otherwise eliminate the "safely remove hardware" icon? i'm not interested in this feature thus i don't want the icon in the notification area of my task bar but i also don't want the ridiculous "expose" arrow the windows genii designed for hiding their unnecessary clutter. is there a registry setting that totally disables this feature?

0 Kudos
KWBS
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a solution? Same Problem on ESX4 VM HW Version 7. Safely Remove Hardware. Tried it and successfully :_| removed Networkcard from W2K3 DC (Test-VM).

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

KWBS, unfortunately, this forum is for Fusion and not ESX -- you might have better luck there. Here's the general Infrastructure forum; I don't see one for ESX 4 yet: http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vi (Or, mods, could you move this, please?)

As for the Windows system tray issue; as was saying, this is a feature of Windows -- there's limited control in XP over what goes in the system tray, although Ibelieve Vista offers the option to hide/remove specific icons.

0 Kudos
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor

this may be a stale topic, but i did find an answer to my query: http://iconremover.com/ offers a freeware tool for removing the "safely remove hardware" icon from my task-bar. i installed it months ago, having forgotten about this thread. for my use of the guest o/s, this is a perfect response to the inept feature set of winxp.

hope this helps anyone else vexed by that icon ...

0 Kudos