VMware Communities
kevinbouh
Contributor
Contributor

running osx virtual machine on a retina macbook

Hi,

I d'like to run an osx virtual marchine on my retina macbook pro, but it seem that retina is not suported on my virtual machine. How can i do ?

i try to run osx 10.8 on a vmware fusion 5.0.1

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have a Mac with the Retina Display however I wouldn't imagine an OS X Virtual Machine itself would even know about the Retina Display and if VMware Tools are installed I believe is uses the VMware supplied "VMwareGfx.kext" for graphics in the Virtual Machine.  In other words, I would think the Retina Display is only configurable from the Host OS X not the Guest OS X.

kevinbouh
Contributor
Contributor

Damn ..

But is it normal that i have only one screen resolution choice  on the virtual machine ? (1024x768)

I have activated 3D acceleration and retina support

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

But is it normal that i have only one screen resolution choice  on the virtual machine ? (1024x768)

In a OS X Virtual Machine that is normal until you install VMware Tools.  So install VMware Tools in the OS X Virtual Machine and you should then be able to select higher resolutions.

kevinbouh
Contributor
Contributor

Nice thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, the vmtools is necessary.

And there is an options to turn Retina supporting on:

Go to VM settings pane->Display->Check on "Use Full Resolution for Retina display.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

And there is an options to turn Retina supporting on:

Go to VM settings pane->Display->Check on "Use Full Resolution for Retina display.

First of all, the OP is using an OS X Guest and from Enable Retina Display Support is states, "OS X guest operating systems do not support full resolution Retina displays at this time.", so this is not applicable in this use case scenario therefore what I've previously said stands true! Smiley Wink

Additionally since I don't have Retina Display I have to rely on what I read that others have said, and that is even when selecting "Use full resolution for Retina display" the scaling preformed by VMware Fusion on a Windows Guest is not of the same quality as if the Guest OS actually recognized the Retina Display natively like the Host does however its a good compromise.  That said, I'll have to wait and see for myself when I actually have it sitting in front of me. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos