VMware Communities
UNCMo96
Contributor
Contributor

repeated BSOD with Win XP home on Fusion 2.0.1

After upgrading to 2.0.1 I received numerous BSOD crashes on win xp. I attemped to downgrade back to 1.1.3 and still receive these errors.I receve this response from Microsoft:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-us/5.2.3790.2.00010100.2.0?SGD=13c94da6-519c-...

My error signature is: BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 806373FD BCP3 : EE7AF894

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It would probably just be easier to restore the Virtual Machine from the Backup you made before upgrading.

0 Kudos
powervm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Refer the below link to power on Fusion 1.x vm under 2.x version

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/fusion_updating_1x_vm_to_2.pdf

0 Kudos
UNCMo96
Contributor
Contributor

I did not back up the VM before upgrading. (I know stupid me.) I'm not sure if there's any value in backing it up now since it's still crashing under VMWare fusion 1.1.3. Would it help if posed the dmp file?

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

if you have 2.0.1 installed you can recover the data stored in Virtual Disk

1) Using Mac Finder go to /Users/User Name/Documents/Virtual Machines

2) Right click on “Virtual Machine Name” and select “Show Package Contents”3) Right click on “Virtual Machine Nname.vmdk” select open With “VMDKMounter (Default)” Now you can see “No Name” Volume on your Mac Desktop and you can copy your Data to Mac system

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

2) Right click on “Virtual Machine Name” and select “Show Package Contents”3) Right click on “Virtual Machine Nname.vmdk” select open With “VMDKMounter (Default)” Now you can see “No Name” Volume on your Mac Desktop and you can copy your Data to Mac system

You do not need to open the Virtual Machine's Package to use VMDKMounter. All that is necessary is to ctrl-click the Virtual Machine Package and select Open With > VMDKMounter

0 Kudos
UNCMo96
Contributor
Contributor

I can get on windows long enough to copy files. What I really want to do is stop it from crashing. I'm willing to post whatever information is useful (minidump file, dmp file, error codes etc).

0 Kudos
UNCMo96
Contributor
Contributor

I tried reinstalling vmware tools and it did not help. Any one have any other thoughts? The computer will randomly crash if windows xp is open for more than an hour.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The computer will randomly crash if windows xp is open for more than an hour.

When you say "The computer" are you saying the the Mac OS X Host computer is crashing or is it the Virtual Machine that is crashing?

If it's the Virtual Machine that is crashing you may want to consider starting fresh by creating a new Virtual Machine and transferring your Data from the old one.

0 Kudos
UNCMo96
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, yeah. I mean "the computer" as in the virtual machine. My VM is based off of a bootcamp partition. Deleting the VM won't mess up the partition right? I'll try that then.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I was under the impression this was a normal file based Virtual Machine since you had not previously mentioned Boot Camp...

If this is a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine then I doubt deleting the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine is going to make a difference although it's shouldn't hurt as the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine is little more then meta-data to support using the Boot Camp partition as a Raw Disk.

If this is/was a Virtual Machine created by importing the Boot Camp partition as a normal file based Virtual Machine then this would be a different story.

0 Kudos
hampstead
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have got the same type of error, that is the ramdom BSOD, although Fusion 2.0.1 is my first installation on the Mac. I have got a similar error signature for me the BCP3 is BA48C99C and Product is 256_1 but the rest is pretty much the same.

I'm running MacBook 2.4g with 10.5.6 and the guest is a XP Pro SP3

Any kind of idea ?

Thanks for your help,

H

0 Kudos