VMware Communities
jeyf
Contributor
Contributor

remove a xp virtual machine in fusion

so while installing VMWare 1.1.1 on my macbook-pro 10.2.5 i hit a snag, the my windows install cd went bad. unable to continue the installation installed a second virtual machine with success.

after the 2nd successful installation i positioned my cursor over the failed virtual machine, found its location and deleted it. its gone from the display list.

question:

-even tho the failed virtual machine was deleted from the display list is there still a 20gig partition on my macbook-pro hard drive??

-in Terminal (or an upper level mac finder application) how can i verify there is no partition orphaned??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

-even tho the failed virtual machine was deleted from the display list is there still a 20gig partition on my macbook-pro hard drive??

Probably not. Normal virtual machines are file based, we don't actually partition your drive. Deleting the virtual machine from the Finder is all you need to do.

-in Terminal (or an upper level mac finder application) how can i verify there is no partition orphaned??

I'd suggest just looking around to see if there's any unaccounted-for disk usage.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

so while installing VMWare 1.1.1 on my macbook-pro 10.2.5 i hit a snag, the my windows install cd went bad. unable to continue the installation installed a second virtual machine with success.

after the 2nd successful installation i positioned my cursor over the failed virtual machine, found its location and deleted it. its gone from the display list.

question:

When you delete a list item as in the name of a Virtual Machine from the Virtual Machine Library window is does not delete the actual Virtual Machine from where it is stored.

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP"

Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) the target VM Bundle Package and select Move to Trash then Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) on Trash Container Icon on the Dock and select Empty Trash

Note: The information above is in reference to a normal file based Virtual Machine and not a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

If they are not in the default location then try using Spotlight to find them using ".vmwarevm" (without the quotes) to locate the Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
jeyf
Contributor
Contributor

reference:

macbookpro 10.5.2

reading through the above i get an odd response??

in a mac terminal window i can get to /myhome/Documents/ and i see "Virtual Machines" but cant get inside. while in Finder i can get to "Virtual Machies" and see my file "WIN XP Prof" which is my good virtual machine but dont see any other machines.

0 Kudos