VMware Communities
spsammy
Contributor
Contributor

registration for fusion eval license broken

Hi,

I reported this yesterday to vmware, but its still down today (and I got no response to my email).

I downloaded Fusion but when I goto the evaluation license page and complete the online form, I get:

-

Error 404--Not Found

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:

10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

-

I've tried using Safari on OSX and Firefox on XP.

Help!

Paul

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
petekazanjy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Paul

I just tried to reproduce your problem. I went to the "evaluate" button on "vmware.com/mac" (http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/eval.html )and went through the registration flow (I have a login to the VMware store, but that just means that the registration form was already populated). When I submitted the form, I was sent to the download page, without a problem, and an eval license just showed up in my email inbox.

I did the same for the beta flow ( http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/ ) and was able to submit my registration no problem.

Can you try to reproduce your problem?

0 Kudos
spsammy
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

thanks for trying it out for me. I still have the same problem! Which browser/os combination are you using?

I too have a login, and the form was prepopulated. So I'm at a loss!

Just tried the beta, and that seemed to go through. So I'll try that.

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I just went through the workflow once, and got the same error message Paul. Then I told my browser (Mac Firefox, although it seems like a server-side issue) to refresh the page, and I got the form as desired.

Maybe we have a server-load problem.

0 Kudos
spsammy
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for confirming I'm not crazy!

Is there anyone from VMWare reading these forums? Still no reply to my email yesterday, which was directed at the website maintainers.

Paul

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is there anyone from VMWare reading these forums?

People with the VMware-three-boxes logo (on the left, under the name and next to the status level) are employees. The converse is not true (not all employees have this logo, we have to request it).

0 Kudos
petekazanjy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Paul:

1. The challenge with your email may be that it didn't go to the right place, in that different parts of the website are run by different groups.

2. There are VMware people all over this forum of all stripes, from marketing people (myself) to engineers (who are much better at answering technical questions than I)

3. When I couldn't reproduce your problem, I was running off of my Thinkpad t60 at home, win xp pro, in firefox, and then in IE. I think the gentleman who noted that it may be a server load problem may be onto something. Have you tried to reproduce from a different machine?

4. I just went through the registration flow again, and it completed, and I was able to get to product binaries, but my license email isn't showing up. Weird.

I'll chase this down. Thank you for raising the issue.

0 Kudos
spsammy
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

1. The challenge with your email may be that it didn't go to the right place, in that different parts of the website are run by different groups.

Some sort of reply (even automated) would at least let me know it was received.

3. When I couldn't reproduce your problem, I was running off of my Thinkpad t60 at home, win xp pro, in firefox, and then in IE. I think the gentleman who noted that it may be a server load problem may be onto something. Have you tried to reproduce from a different machine?

yes, on my OSX/safari laptop, and an XP/Firefox laptop, from different networks (home and work) and on different days. I'm in the UK, if it helps.

4. I just went through the registration flow again, and it completed, and I was able to get to product binaries, but my license email isn't showing up. Weird.

I'll chase this down. Thank you for raising the issue.

np, thanks.

Paul

0 Kudos
petekazanjy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the webteam and customer service looking into this. Thanks for raising the point. Usually for each person who says something, there are ten others who haven't. So thank you for helping everyone.

0 Kudos
bozarthj
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced the same problem over the last two days...trying to activate the eval license, but get the 404 error when I click the link.

0 Kudos