VMware Communities
logube
Contributor
Contributor

recover a fedora 16 vm

hi, i have searched everywhere for this and I couldn't find anything, please be patient if this has been answered anywhere.

My configuration:

macmini intel

mac os snow leopard 10.6

vmware 3.1.3

i have a brand new fedora 16 VM, I setup selinux to "permissive" but during the reboot I get a error message (selinux policy ....26 not found. Freezing) and the boot process freezes.

I would need to be able to mount the root disk of the VM and edit /etc/selinux/config

I have investigated this and I cannot find a solution

Macfuse + the VMDKMounter  application (which doesn't seem to work on 64bit), anyway only mounts the disk in red only.

Is there any way to recover the VM?

single mode boot doesn't work because the error takes place before it's complete.

If this was a physical server I would boot from a USB stick, network or DVD/CD but being a VM I don't know what to do.

Any help welcome, thanks.

B

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

single mode boot doesn't work because the error takes place before it's complete.

If this was a physical server I would boot from a USB stick, network or DVD/CD but being a VM I don't know what to do.

Why don't you boot the Virtual Machine from a Linux Live CD/DVD/ISO Image and edit the file that way?  Either use the ISO Image you created the Virtual Machine from or one Linux Distro I like to use in a rescue scenario is Slax.

You can change the Boot Order from the Virtual Machine Settings > Advanced > Startup Device in VMware Fusion 3.x.

logube
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tested but I have no doubt that it works. Absolutely perfect, thank you very much!

0 Kudos