VMware Communities
mykmelez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

racing clipboard updates

I noticed recently that I appear to be able to race a copy-paste between my host OS and a Linux VM. Specifically, if I copy some text in the host OS and then paste it into the Linux VM quickly enough, the second most recently copied text gets pasted instead of the most recently copied text.

For example, say I copy "foo" in a host OS window via cmd-C and then paste the clipboard contents into a Linux VM window via ctrl-v. "foo" appears in the VM window.

Then I copy "bar" in the host OS window via cmd-C, quickly return to the VM window via cmd-tab, and paste the clipboard contents into the window via ctrl-v.

"bar" should then appear in the window, but instead "foo" appears. If I wait a few seconds and paste again via ctrl-v, however, "bar" appears.

If I repeat the experiment but wait a few seconds before pasting into the VM window, "bar" appears correctly the first time. It's as if VMWare is taking several seconds to copy the Mac clipboard to the VM's clipboard, giving me enough time to race it if I'm speedy enough (which I often am when I use keyboard shortcuts to cut, switch windows, and paste).

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I've seen it with Windows trying to copy and paste URLs, sometimes I attributed the lag to an RDP window which is where I'm usually pasting it to. I'm sure I've seen in guest without any remote programs too. Definitely the larger the text block size the more likely you have to give the clipboard more time.

0 Kudos
FlaSheridn
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Yes, frequently, with both Ubuntu 7.04 and Windows XP as client. Viewing the clipboard in the Finder always has what I consider the correct clipboard; waiting a few seconds, or spending a few seconds futilely pasting and undoing, generally fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
FlaSheridn
Contributor
Contributor

It's not just a timing issue, though I still don't understand the pattern. VMWare is currently in a state where even a half-hour wait doesn't help.

0 Kudos
FlaSheridn
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to have gotten even worse in 2.0

0 Kudos
FlaSheridn
Contributor
Contributor

This occurs less often in 3.x, though it happened recently just after the 3.1.2 upgrade.

0 Kudos