VMware Communities
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

"vmx" folder application launches when I launch VMWare 1.1rc1

What is the (annoying) application with a folder icon that launches when I start my Virtual Machine? How can we make it go away?

http://www.automaticduck.com/screenshots/vmxlaunching.mov

I just installed the 1.1rc1 version over 1.0. I'm running OS X 10.5.

0 Kudos
43 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My guess that anyone who is not experiencing this problem, is not using Leopard.

It's slightly more complicated, not everyone who is running Leopard sees this - for example, it works as expected for me.

0 Kudos
gruvin
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem. I can supply some more detail as below.

1. This mysterious "vmx" application ATTEMPTS to launch when I start my Virtual machine. Actually, it never does -- it bounces in the dock for ages, eventually stopping and displaying "Application Not Reponding" in the icon menu there (secondary-click menu). (screen-snippet attached)

2. It most definitely only happens in Leopard with VMWare Fusion 1.1. (I've never seen this icon in Tiger or with VMWare Fusion 1.0)

3. The exact location of the vmx folder is NOT in the VMWware Fusion application bundle as someone here suggested. It is in the App. Support folder. namely: /Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/vmx/. The folder contains a Contents sub-folder, suggestion it is itself an OS X app. bundle.

4. VMWare Fusion appears to opperate without fault, despite this "not responding" application in the dock.

5. I have made no custom changes to the dock and have nothing except iCal loading at login to my knowledge.

6. I've Googled for about half an hour trying to find others reporting/fixing this fault and found nothing at all. I was almos amused loggin here to see your posted on the topic right here at the top of the list :smileygrin:

Bryan

Auckland, New Zealand.

0 Kudos
Asher_Langton
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem. I can supply some more detail as below.

1. This mysterious "vmx" application ATTEMPTS to launch when I start my Virtual machine. Actually, it never does -- it bounces in the dock for ages, eventually stopping and displaying "Application Not Reponding" in the icon menu there (secondary-click menu). (screen-snippet attached)

2. It most definitely only happens in Leopard with VMWare Fusion 1.1. (I've never seen this icon in Tiger or with VMWare Fusion 1.0)

3. The exact location of the vmx folder is NOT in the VMWware Fusion application bundle as someone here suggested. It is in the App. Support folder. namely: /Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/vmx/. The folder contains a Contents sub-folder, suggestion it is itself an OS X app. bundle.

4. VMWare Fusion appears to opperate without fault, despite this "not responding" application in the dock.

I'm experiencing the same issue with Version 1.1 (62573) on 10.5.1. I tried to force-quit the vmx folder in the dock, and the entire VMware application crashed.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I'm experiencing the same issue with Version 1.1 (62573) on 10.5.1. I tried to force-quit the vmx folder in the dock, and the entire VMware application crashed.

The vmx "app" is the background process that the GUI connects to, it's the actual VM process. As you've seen trying to kill it is a bad idea. I have Fusion on OS X 10.4.11 and 10.5.1 and like Eric, I don't see this problem.

Anyway you could include a list of system extensions: menubar tools, third-party launchers (e.g.Quickeys, Quicksilver), etc. here? It's has to be some special about your system.

0 Kudos
Asher_Langton
Contributor
Contributor

The vmx "app" is the background process that the GUI connects to, it's the actual VM process. As you've seen trying to kill it is a bad idea. I have Fusion on OS X 10.4.11 and 10.5.1 and like Eric, I don't see this problem.

Anyway you could include a list of system extensions: menubar tools, third-party launchers (e.g.Quickeys, Quicksilver), etc. here? It's has to be some special about your system.

I've got Quicksilver installed, though I don't use it to launch VMware. The only other tool that shows up in the menubar is SMC Fan Control. I've been using both of these with VMware in the past with no problems. This problem started around the time I installed the 10.5.1 update, and it didn't show up under 10.4.x or 10.5.

0 Kudos
gruvin
Contributor
Contributor

As noted above, I am seeing this same problem with VMWare Fusion 1.1 (62573) and I honeslty don't have ANY fancy extensions loaded that I know of. So that makes three of us on this forum alone, if I'm counting right. Still possible we all have the same "something" installed that's causing it, I suppose.

The only thing I can add if that I was running version 1.0 and simply upgraded to v1.1 after installing OS X 10.5. I then updated the VMTools software in my Xp Pro VM. But the vmx icon was there before that. My copy of OS X 10.5.1 (now) was an upgrade install over v10.4.11.

There must be something different... but how to find/discover it?

Not sure if the vmx process is the actual VM since is it "Not Responding" and doesn't appear until after "Restoring Virtual Machine State" has completed. (random guess -- probably not too helpful.) It seems more likely some kind of response to VMWare Tools as it only fired up (attempts to launch) once the machine compeltes starting up and the client OS is usable. shrug. Nope, I just tried uninstalling VMTools from this XP Pro VM, shutdown (client), restart VMWare. No change.

While on that track though, I tested disabling Networking inside the VM and disconnected the virtual ethernet device. No change.

The vmx dock icon keeps bouncing for a LONG time (1 or more minutes) before it stops and says "Not Repsonding". I guess if it's not written in a way that is even designed to "respoind", that might make sense. shrug

Hmm... it is possible this only started since 10.5.1 update and wasn't happening with 10.5.... but I think it was. Sorry, can't be certain.

Bryan.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

Well, I'm still on 10.5.0 (I don't have any real reason to upgrade to 10.5.1 yet) and seeing similar behaviour with my VNC server, so my bet is that it's something unique to 10.5 as a whole, not just 10.5.1.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Well I have Quicksilver, smcFanControl 2.2, OS X 10.5.1 and Fusion 1.1 with no vmx icon. If the Dock recognizes the vmx background process I'm sure vmx is not going to response to any kind of OS X events causing the timeout.

It's a mystery.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

If anyone is willing to try this, I'd be curious as to the outcome:

Shutdown all virtual machines and quit VMware Fusion.

Make a backup of /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmx/Contents/info.plist.

Using an editor capable of modifying a file owned by root (such as TextWrangler or BBEdit), add the following to Info.plist, i.e. making the contents look like:

<key>NSUIElement</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Try to restart a Fusion VM, see if anything changes. If not, restore the info.plist from your backup or re-edit the file to remove the above.

0 Kudos
gruvin
Contributor
Contributor

Eureka!

There was no info.plist file at all. I created one in vi using those entries and the vmx icon is now gone.

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

Thanks!

Bryan.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry I sat on this solution. I was trying so hard to reproduce it that I forgot I created the info.plist myself. Well, I'm glad to know it fixed it for someone. As to why it happens, I still have no idea.

0 Kudos
gruvin
Contributor
Contributor

Hey.

Well, unfortunately, the problem has not actually gone away -- just more hidden, I guess. The Dock icon is gone, but the vmx process is still "not responding" as shown in activity monitor, an anonymous looking "kernel task" shoots up to 140MB RAM (normal?) and 40%+ CPU use even while the VM is idling and my system keeps hanging (kernel level -- dead mouse, etc.) for 10 to 15 seconds at a time intermitently all the time VMWare is running the VM client.

All this has only started since v1.1 and OS X 10.5.x. Infact, I seemed to have no trouble with VMWare F' v1.0 on OS X 10.5. Might go back to that.

I'm not sure who I'm replying to, in the sense that I'm not sure if you're a VMWare progrmmer or "just" a community member helping out... is there some kind of system log/configuration report I should be submitting to some place? In any case, your help is much appreciated, of course. Smiley Happy

I'm happy to "sit tight" for a couple weeks and see if updates pop up in the meantime of course. http://In my case, I only rely on a single XP VM to run my Windows accounting software for my business -- nothing else really. So I can live with the present situation well enough.

Bryan.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure who I'm replying to, in the sense that I'm not sure if you're a VMWare progrmmer or "just" a community member helping out... is there some kind of system log/configuration report I should be submitting to some place? In any case, your help is much appreciated, of course. Smiley Happy

People with the VMware three-boxes logo are employees (the converse is not true); Richard is "just" a very helpful member Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, there's currently no good way to submit bugs (we're working on it, but it's going slowly). As far as I know, the best way to report bugs is by posting about them in these forums. For this particular problem, I don't think any logs/configuration information is helpful at this time.

0 Kudos
gruvin
Contributor
Contributor

Ah. Thanks for that.

I was just about to make another post saying my most recent Fusion session of about 20 minutes didn't have ANY problem at all. The vmware-vmx process did not show "Not responding" and everything ran sweet.

This only adds confusion since I've not rebooted and the only "running process" changes I've made since the last Fusion session this morning were to install an Acrobat Reader update, which happened to insist Safari got shut down and it hasn't been restarted since. Hmmm... loads Safari, tries again... nah. It's still fine. Well that was a long shot.

I'll keep trying to determine a pattern to this, however subtle. Smiley Wink

Bryan.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

As Eric said, I'm not a VMware employee (although not all VMware employees apply for the logo - sneaky ones Smiley Wink ).

I'm glad something is working for you, although I am curious about the "anonymous kernel task" process you mentioned. The VM, while it's running, should look like a vmware-vmx process owned by root using the memory footprint of the VM. This is a screenshot of a 256 MB VM I have running, also shown are the accompanying VMware network daemons. What is the name of your VM process and it's owner?

0 Kudos
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
gruvin
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there.

Firstly, as of my last three Fusion sessions, everything seems to be behaving perfectly well. I'm ready to conclude there must have been some other funny going on causing the problem I posted above, which is now simply "gone away". Then again, it was the vmware-vmx process that went "Not responding" -- so I guess there's still some little bug (or lack of a bug work-around) lurking in the background somewhere.

Meanwhile, here's a screen-snippet from Activity Monitor showing my 348MB VM running Windows XP Pro this morning (showing all is well):

Nice forum by the way -- allowing image inserts and what not is funky huh? :smileygrin:

Bryan.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi folks,

I finally found one cause of this issue. It's the only one we've seen so far.

I installed the Digidesign CoreAudio driver from http://www.digidesign.com/download/coreaudio/ . This caused the exact issue described in this thread.

When I manually removed their Core Audio plugin from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin, the bouncing VMX icon went away.

Can you check if you have Digidesign CoreAudio installed? If you do, uninstalling it will also work around this issue.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Thank You Ben! I love when mysteries are solved! They're like cold case files in my mind that bug me. This one didn't last as long as some of the others I have in my head, thankfully!

0 Kudos
Asher_Langton
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

I finally found one cause of this issue. It's the only one we've seen so far.

I installed the Digidesign CoreAudio driver from http://www.digidesign.com/download/coreaudio/ . This caused the exact issue described in this thread.

When I manually removed their Core Audio plugin from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin, the bouncing VMX icon went away.

Can you check if you have Digidesign CoreAudio installed? If you do, uninstalling it will also work around this issue.

I didn't have it installed, but I had a Plug-in for a Tascam US-122l. Both the Tascam and the Digidesign plugins were causing problems with the UserEventAgent daemon:

http://awkwarddog.com/?p=28

I was also having problems with Fusion periodically telling me that "Sound will not be available" (though there were no obvious problems with the audio), and I suspect that the Core Audio plugins were related to that, as well.

I uninstalled the Tascam drivers a week or so ago, but didn't realize it solved this problem since I had hidden the problem by following rcardona2k's advice.

0 Kudos