VMware Communities
kevinelan
Contributor
Contributor

"one of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use..."

this request is a lot like some others I've found in the forum, like this one;

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/154762?start=0&tstart=0

but I can't seem to find the answer. I'm a support technician helping an older lady who needs Fusion for her geneology software, she can't exactly remember what she did to cause this problem either. I've followed the steps found in the forum to no avail, I can't even restore from a snapshot because it gives me the same error message.

I would really appreciate a solution to this, TIA!

Kevin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kevinelan
Contributor
Contributor

Bump to beg for help, btw, this is fusion 2.0.6

please help!

thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Are there any lock (lck) files within the VM's package on the drive? If there is, and the VM is off, move it outside of the bundle (such as to the desktop) and then try starting the VM again.

When you show the package contents, and the VM is of, you should only see .vmdk, .log, .nvram, .vmx, .vmxf and possibly an applListCache directory. If you get any .lck files, shift them out of the package.

VCP4

kevinelan
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Gold, but if you look at the attached directory list you'll see I've already tried throwing those files out or moving them out, they did not help.

The woman who is having this problem is really upset, I'd love to get her Fusion back up and running, please help!

thanks again,

Kevin

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

If the VM is not running, there should not be any lck files in the directory. If there are, then something's not right. Which dot release is she running on the system (of Fusion)? Have you tried creating a new user profile and running the app when logged into that account instead of her main one? I assume she bought the software, so have you tried reaching out to VMware Support for help? How often does she fully shut down the host system? Have you tried booting into single user mode and perform a fsck -fy on the system?

VCP4

0 Kudos