VMware Communities
agf1
Contributor
Contributor

"Windows Activation An unauthorized change was made to windows" In VM

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6, VMware Fusion v2.0.1, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

I get this message when I open up my Bootcamp partition in VMWare Fusion:

Windows Activation

An unauthorized change was made to Windows

"An unauthorized change was made to Windows. Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows functionality . Use the link below to find out how to fix Windows."

and when I click on the link, loads up Microsoft Genuine Validation site, however my Vista fails the validation :-S

However when I load my Windows Vista (in Bootcamp), everything is fine.

I have had VMWare Fusion since October running my Bootcamp partition and has been working perfectly until now????

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you plan to use both Boot Camp and the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine then you need to do WPA (Windows Product Activation) once under Boot Camp and then again while running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine however you need to have VMware Tools installed before you do WPA in the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine if at all possible otherwise you'll end up doing it again after VMware Tools is installed. Aside from that WPA or any other products activation is not the responsibility of VMware and the only real answer to your situation is for you to talk to Microsoft or whatever manufacturer's product you're having activation issue with.

You can, as an example, explain to then that you have one physical install of Windows on one physical machine and also want to run it as a virtual machine on the same physical machine without having a second install and they might be willing to help you however the bottom line is this whole WPA issue can sometimes be a pain in the ___ (fill in the blank) however aside from having VMware Tools installed to handle WPA in a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and switching back and forth running Boot Camp natively otherwise this is really not a Fusion issue and it is between you and Microsoft or any other manufacturer's product needing activation.

0 Kudos
Uncle_Art
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"otherwise this is really not a Fusion issue and it is between you and Microsoft or any other manufacturer's product needing activation."

Ya know, Woody, as much as I agree with you on this point, and I certainly see how it isn't, and shouldn't, and actually CAN'T be VMware's problem to fix, I do need to state that this seems to be becoming VERY VERY MUCH A FUSION ISSUE, from the standpoint of Fusion simply not being able to handle, in a reasonably painless way, running a "normal" version of Windows legally, inside and outside a VM.

Agreed: Microsoft did this, they wrote all the funky WGA and Activation nonsense; VMware / Fusion did not, and they must "Play by the MS Rules"

Agreed: Fusion Emulates Hardware: this trips up WGA and Activation mechanisms

Fact: Many, many, MANY posts here are centered on trying to get legal, licensed, proper copies of Windows to work, licensing/activation wise, inside a VM or BootCamp partition.

Fact: Not everyone is as fortunate as to have a VLK copy of Windows, so this is a problem MOST users MAY encounter

So, as easy as it is to say "Sorry, that's between You and Microsoft", IMHO, it needs to be addressed, even if "all that can be done" is to make the sequence of required events more clear, and consistent, and VERIFY that whatever Mechanism within Fusion is "keeping tabs" on Activation actually WORKS.

Perhaps I'm just too optimistic, but I find it "weak" to assume that a program as wonderful as Fusion can be so easily broken and rendered an unfixable user nightmare simply because it cannot handle Windows licensing Mechanisms adeptly. Even prohibiting "dual use" of a Bootcamp partition as a VM would be a solution... a feature that causes this much grief isn't really a feature.

So, sure, "It's not a Fusion Issue", but when a customer can't use Fusion because of it, it doesn't come across as "Windows doesn't activate properly because their mechanism is a pain", it becomes "Windows runs FINE on my Mac, until I use Fusion, then it doesn't"... If I'm in Marketing at VMware, I don't like that selling point.

I guess my rambling comes down to: If it's harming the User Experience within Fusion, it's a Fusion Issue. Regardless of "fault" or "blame", it's not isolated, it's a known source of problems, and a potential source of trouble for a large current and potential user base.

If it CAN'T be fixed, so be it... but it should be crystal clear as such, or the ability to cause the problem should be disabled. (e.g. BC partition snapshots) The continual "Can't help you, take it up with them" support line happens to be why a large number of Fusion customers bought Macs in the first place.

agf1
Contributor
Contributor

I agree Uncle Art, but thankfully there is a community here that are always helping each other and VMware.

I am glad to report that it was not Microsoft Vista at fault, for once,and that it was infact VMware Fusion causing itself the the problem.

After some extensive searching,for a good a few hours I must add, i came across a solution:

1) Log into Bootcamp

2) Locate the "Virtual" folder in C:/Windows/ProgramData/VMware/RawDskCompatibility

3) Delete the "Virtual" folder with all of its contents

4) Then restart into OS X and start VMware Fusion and log into the Bootcamp virtual machine

5) It works again!!

Regards

0 Kudos
f00fighters
Contributor
Contributor

I hope that works for me too.. going to try it right now

0 Kudos
f00fighters
Contributor
Contributor

OMG, so far so good. It's working perfectly... but I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet. I'll give it a few days and see.

0 Kudos
Mastro2k
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I get this error like every two weeks and this is what fixed it for me.

Just if it's any help for VM to fix the problem... I run VMFusion during the day at work, I go home and sometimes I boot up to windows to play a few games off an external drive. Then I reboot to OSX. I shut down osx, come to work, load up vmfusion and get the error.

0 Kudos