VMware Communities
dsafasd33
Contributor
Contributor

"Virtual Machine is busy" on macOS Big Sur

When I try to close the window of a Virtual Machine, I encounter the following popup every time:

"The virtual machine XYZ is busy"

It doesn't matter if the VM was run or not, e.g. open settings only. I just reinstalled VMware Player again from scratch, properly removing any leftovers according to 1017838, and any VMs, and the issue persists with a brand new VM.

The temporary workaround is to force close VMware itself, which doesn't make me comfortable though.

macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)

VMware Professional Version 12.1.0 (17195230)

23 Replies
freemanhk
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Have to force quit vmware fusion to solve this problem. 

0 Kudos
nikhilcdac
Contributor
Contributor

experiencing the same issue. macOS 11.2.3 fusion v 12.1.1.

0 Kudos
Feras101
Contributor
Contributor

The problem related to GUI not the engine itself, so here my finding if you looking to control one vm without the need to restart all the hypervisor

go with machine command line:

$ vmrun stop [your path to the machine vmx].vmx hard  # even some cases you can ignore hard/soft parameter

if stop doesn't work you still able to use start and reset as well

$ vmrun start [your path to the machine vmx].vmx hard

Also I would like to mention as of today the BigSur 11.3 has been released, you may give it try since it include major updates

macOSBigSur 11.2.3 (20D91)

VmwareFusion Player Version 12.1.1 (17801503)

0 Kudos
mrusli
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the same problems! It simply says busy and it crash so badly that my SSD Hard Disk goes corrupted! I have to reformat my SSD and reinstall my MacOS Beta 12 again. I do suspected that it too having the same problems with Big Sur. Vmware need to fix this problem as it can pose so many problems with our mac machines. It simply crash and crash and crashing. Not only that, Install WIndows 10 it cannot install the Windows Updates. It some how can't! You have to restart the Windows 10 in order for it to install the Windows 10 updates!

0 Kudos