Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"VMware Fusion has encountered an error and have shut down the virtual machine." followed by a beachball

After upgrading my MacBook Pro from 10.8.5 to 10.10 several days ago, I found Fusion 6.0.3 seemed to be working OK.  So I created two OS X virtual machines for OS X 10.8.5 and 10.9.5.

Soon after, I encountered a problem (I don't recall the specifics) and decided it was time to upgrade to Fusion 7.0.1.  Both of my OS X virtual machines started up and ran fine on the new release (after being upgraded for 7.0.1 compatibility).

After upgrading my MacBook Pro from 10.8.5 to 10.10 several days ago, I found Fusion 6.0.3 seemed to be working OK.  So I created two OS X virtual machines for OS X 10.8.5 and 10.9.5.

Soon after, I encountered a problem (I don't recall the specifics) and decided it was time to upgrade to Fusion 7.0.1.  Both of my OS X virtual machines started up and ran fine on the new release (after being upgraded for 7.0.1 compatibility).

Last night, I started my 10.9.5 virtual machine and left it running.  This morning, when I woke the MBP from screen sleep, Fusion was frontmost with this message  below the toolbar:

"VMware Fusion has encountered an error and have shut down the virtual machine.

"Click Restart to start the virtual machine again. Click Report to collect data and to request support from VMware.

"[Ignore]  [Report]  [Restart]"

When I clicked the Report button, Fusion asked for my admin password, which I provided.  A message appeared, reporting it was collecting data and to please wait.  When that message disappeared, I was left with the original message with both the Report and Restart selected and a beachball wherever I moved the cursor on the Fusion window.

I had to Force Quit Fusion to continue.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

-- Ward

Last night, I started my 109.5 virtual machine and left it running.  This morning, when I woke the MBP from screen sleep, Fusion was frontmost with this message  below the toolbar:

"VMware Fusion has encountered an error and have shut down the virtual machine.

"Click Restart to start the virtual machine again. Click Report to collect data and to request support from VMware.

"[Ignore]  [Report]  [Restart]"

When I clicked the Report button, Fusion asked for my admin password, which I provided.  A message appeared, reporting it was collecting data and to please wait.  When that message disappeared, I was left with the original message with both the Report and Restart selected and a beachball wherever I moved the cursor on the Fusion window.

I had to Force Quit Fusion to continue.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

-- Ward

0 Kudos
0 Replies