VMware Communities
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

"VMware Fusion could not find any Boot Camp volumes on this Mac." - Win 10 Creators Update, Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

Hi guys,

There is a bug in latest VMWare Fusion in which it doesn't see fresh installs of the Win 10 Creators update, this could be on all Macs but it's certainly on the new MacBook Pro's (4k drive sector). I believe this is due to a change in the Win 10 Creators Update that only affects fresh installs (updates from older Win 10 versions are not affected) it DID affect Boot Camp installs in the same way, you couldn't have macOS select the Win 10 drive to boot to (though it would boot manually when holding ALT with no problems). This has now been fixed as of the latest macOS Sierra update 10.12.5 (16F73) but this hasn't fixed the bug in VMWare Fusion 8.5.6 (5234762) so I believe it needs an update to address this issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is a known bug as you can read here:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/564005#2673074

besides that one reply there's also this thread:

VMware Fusion could not find any Boot Camp volumes on this Mac.

where community member Mike Wyatt offers a workaround.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I tried Mike's terminal script but it didn't work for me, just created an empty folder on the desktop. Hopefully there is proper fix soon!

0 Kudos
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

Ah I got Mike's script working, I realised it was looking for a specific drive name.

Is there a flag in the VM image anywhere which makes Fusion see it's not got the VMWare Tools installed and automatically start installing them the way it would if you added the Boot Camp drive from the menu in the app?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's a flag like that in the .vmx file, but I think the default is to remind about vmware tools install?

Anyways there''s the following flag, if not in the vmx it will use system default.

Update VMware Tools manually when a new version is available

tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

Update VMware Tools automatically

tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"

For the logic to see if it is installed or not, it is not a flag, when VMware tools is installed you can communicate with it, if it isn't installed, that communication won't work.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately the new update doesn't properly fix the bug. It works 50% of the time now instead of 0%.

0 Kudos
realdannys1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, extensive testing shows that Creators Update still not fully supported - at least 50% of the time VMWare Fusion see's no Boot Camp partition. I hope there's another update following soon to fix this properly.

0 Kudos