VMware Communities
Buonan
Contributor
Contributor

"Unable to retrieve kernel symbols"

I just installed the Security Update 2018-003 for El Capitan and now when I launch my vms it says "Unable to retrieve kernel symbols".  How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a spare Mac mini on which I can do a test to see whether I can repeat the problem.

A few questions to clarify your situation:

1. Is OS X El Capitan your host OS?

2. Which method did you use to install Security Update 2018-003: App Store, or manual install from support.apple.com/downloads?

3. Which version of VMware Fusion are you running?

4. For completeness it might also help to know which Mac model you have.

0 Kudos
kiwillia
Contributor
Contributor

We are also seeing the same error after applying the Security Update 2018-003 for High Sierra.

1. Host OS: High Sierra 10.13.5

2. Security Update 2018-003 installed from the App Store

3. Running VMware Fusion 10.1.2

4. Model:  MacBookPro11,5

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

kiwillia wrote:

We are also seeing the same error after applying the Security Update 2018-003 for High Sierra.

1. Host OS: High Sierra 10.13.5

2. Security Update 2018-003 installed from the App Store

There is no Security Update 2018-003 for High Sierra. It is for either OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan or macOS 10.12.6 Sierra. The corresponding security fixes for High Sierra are in the macOS 10.13.5 update.

I have two Macs (MacBookPro11,3 and MacBookPro8,1) running macOS 10.13.5 with VMware Fusion 10.1.2 and neither is exhibiting this error. Both have a VM running El Capitan, and I've installed Security Update 2018-003 in those VMs without seeing this error either.

0 Kudos
Buonan
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMware Professional Version 10.1.2 (8502123)

Macbook Pro Mid-2015 El Capitan version 10.11.6 (15G21013)

Security Update 2018-003 installed from the App Store

I have REFIND installed to dual boot Ubuntu 16.10.

When I boot into OS X I did notice it shows 'Recovery HD' instead of 'Machintosh HD' now.

My VMs were also in suspended state if that matters.

Things I've tried.

Uninstall/re-install REFIND 0.10.8.

Uninstall VMware/re-install VMware 10.1.2

I'm still having this issue.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry about the delay getting back to you on this.

I forgot the minor detail that VMware Fusion 10 raised the hardware requirements, so my spare 2009 Mac Mini was too old to test with VMware Fusion 10. With that computer I was able to test VMware Fusion 8.5.10 with El Capitan Security Update 2018-003 (15G21013) installed on the host and it worked fine.

I have now been able to repeat the test using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) with VMware Fusion 10.1.2 running on El Capitan. It also works fine after updating the host to Security Update 2018-003 (15G21013). That means the problem you have encountered is not affecting everyone running VMware Fusion 10.1.2 on El Capitan with the latest security update installed.

I'm inclined to suspect you have a messed up system after installation of the security update (possibly due to a conflict with rEFInd, since that is something which was on your system and is not on mine), and the resulting mess is having a side effect on VMware Fusion.

This "Unable to retrieve kernel symbols" error has come up in the past, but I haven't seen a clear explanation of what it means. Earlier cases have been described on this forum, e.g. there was a problem on some systems after installation of OS X 10.8.5 which had a side effect of making a "mach_kernel" file visible, and if the user deleted that file it resulted in VMware Fusion 6.x complaining about kernel symbols. There could be a similar issue here but the details will have changed between Mountain Lion and El Capitan.

0 Kudos