VMware Communities
Karaminder
Contributor
Contributor

"The file specified is not a virtual disk" error after machine Kernel Panic'd.

So I'm getting the error "The file specified is not a virtual disk."

This was after my mac mini Kernal Panic'd after the environmental temperature got too hot. Drives are SSD drives inside the mini. After force restart, one of my virtual machines still runs fine, but this one does not. It's an Ubuntu CLI only installation running my LAMP web server stuff. My VM has about a half dozen snapshots, so reverting to a previous snapshot would be fine if I could figure out how to do that.

Went to this is KB article first:

VMware KB: Resolving the Fusion error: The file specified is not a virtual disk

Everything in my files were fine and checked out.

Then did this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

Two of my snapshots had errors and were reported to be repaired by this.

Same error still exists after I shutdown Fusion and then re-opened and re-added the Virtual Machine to start it.

Help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1.  Providing a directory listing showing only the file names is about worthless!  At a minimum it should show file name, file size and date/time stamp.

2.  In stead of attaching files separately, which cause more work to try and help!, archive all files into a single .zip archive and attach the archive.

That said and based on the fact the VM has so many Snapshots if would be far better and much easier to get a handle on this if you'd just do the following and all you'd need to do is attach the support bundle ...

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!

0 Kudos
Karaminder
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies Woody.

Thanks for the instructions. Attached is the file requested.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Looks like the snapshots have branches. Can you send the screen shot of the Snapshot Manager ?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Karaminder
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go.

When I try and revert to previous snapshot, it errors on me.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

avanish321 wrote: Looks like the snapshots have branches. Can you send the screen shot of the Snapshot Manager ?

You do not need to ask for a screen shot of the Snapshot Manager since the meta-data for the Virtual Machine is in the support bundle!  You can simply add the Virtual Machine Package to the Library and without starting the VM just look at its configuration or the Snapshot Manager.  You can also review the contents of the Snapshot Dictionary (.vmsd file) or follow the parentCID in each of the Disk DescriptorFile .vmdk files! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

I dont see any branching in the snapshot manager. Looks like the chain is broken or handled incorrectly.

Please take a backup copy of Ubuntu12.04LTS.vmwarevm before modifying any files within it.

Try this :

Edit the vmx config file and change the hard disk to Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk .

Edit Ubuntu12.04LTS.vmx file in textedit

Replace

scsi0:0.fileName = "Virtual Disk.vmdk"

with

scsi0:0.fileName = "Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk"

For details on editing vmx refer

VMware KB: Editing the .vmx file for your VMware Fusion virtual machine

Running the Virtual machine from base disk should have worked though.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Virtual Disk-000001.vmdk: parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000002.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000002.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000003.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000006.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000004.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000003.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000001.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000006.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000004.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000007.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000004.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000008.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000008.vmdk"

Virtual Disk-000009.vmdk:parentFileNameHint="Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk"

Looks like  they are not in right chain. However OP does not suggest any error related to parent child error.

Currently Virtual Machine is running off of a Virtual Disk.vmdk and since that itself is giving out an error, chances of getting this VM up and running are slim in my opinion.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Karaminder, after a cursory review of the information in the support bundle I can tell you that the Disk Data Base section of the Disk DescriptorFile for "Virtual Disk-000008.vmdk" is truncated, hence corrupted and part of the reason why you're getting the error message.  I've also found other issues however it's a long holiday weekend (July 4th) so I'm not where I can take the time to dig into this further until after the weekend.  Maybe someone else will help before I can get back to this.

JSYK The other issues I see are in the Extent description of the Disk DescriptorFile for "Virtual Disk-000008.vmdk" and "Virtual Disk-000006.vmdk" .

In "Virtual Disk-000008.vmdk" the Extent description is "Virtual Disk-000006-s0##.vmdk" and in "Virtual Disk-000006.vmdk" the Extent description is "Virtual Disk-000007-s0##.vmdk" and normally the Extent description should have the same as in the 00000#-s portion of the file name.  If you look at the other Disk DescriptorFile for the other snapshot disks you'll see what I mean.

As and example looking at "Virtual Disk-000001.vmdk","Virtual Disk-000002.vmdk", "Virtual Disk-000003.vmdk", "Virtual Disk-000004.vmdk" and "Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk" the  Extent description shows  "Virtual Disk-00000#-s0##.vmdk" where the first # you see in the 00000# portion is the same as in the name of the disk and the last # in the -s0## portion increments from 1 to 11 respectively.

So something got messed up, probably while trying to consolidate snapshots, and don't have the time to analyze further till after the weekend.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

avanish321 wrote: ... Currently Virtual Machine is running off of a Virtual Disk.vmdk and since that itself is giving out an error, chances of getting this VM up and running are slim in my opinion.

Before pronouncing it's DOA I'd at least copy the "Virtual Disk.vmdk" and its binary Extents ("Virtual Disk-s###.vmdk") to a separate folder and then try repairing it with vmware-vdiskmanager.  Then if it reports the disk is okay just create a new VM using that disk! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Karaminder
Contributor
Contributor

avanish321 wrote:

Try this :

Edit the vmx config file and change the hard disk to Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk .

Tried it. Results in same error as the title of this thread. 😕

0 Kudos