VMware Communities
audenmahk
Contributor
Contributor

"Not Enough Physical Memory" error on MacOS Big Sur Beta 1

On MacOS Big Sur Beta 1, receiving the following error when launching any VMs that worked fine prior to update:

"Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings."

Mac has a total of 16GB of RAM, VM has 4096MB allocated in preferences, and shows that there is still 12GB available for the Mac.  Same issue no matter how much memory is allocated to the VM.

Posting to report to devs as potential bug with new beta, but obviously any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

55 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Adityabar,

The fix is to upgrade to Fusion 12 if you are running Big Sur.
Fusion 11 will not work on Big Sur.
Please read earlier answers again, there is a free version of Fusion 12 if you are using it for personal use.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Hutchi07
Contributor
Contributor

Worked like a charm - thanks.  Not sure I should have had to purchase a new version though :(.   Now dealing with the screen flickering issue with 12 found here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-12-w-Big-Sur-Display-Flicker/td-p...

0 Kudos
Hutchi07
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this.  When I logged in however for some reason their wasn't a free version - the portal may have assumed it was for a business... not sure.  Anyways, I paid for it as I was in a jam needing it quickly...

0 Kudos
chronics
Contributor
Contributor

Install https://www.virtualbox.org

Right click on the virtualmachine, show package contents. 

Copy all files to a folder for example VM

In virtual box choose new virtual machine and use existing virtual hard drive file. Inside the folder you created locate the hard drive file. 

0 Kudos
Biixi
Contributor
Contributor

just update to 12.1.0. there is no another solution for this.

I upgraded my MacBook Pro and got issues with my VMware fusion, the only solution is to upgrade ur VMware fusion and its free if you are using for personal interest.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Eddie_P80
Contributor
Contributor

Still an issue after the release of Big Sur to public, i gave it a good month before testing but get these same errors on all my previous VMs when trying to start.

VMWare Fusion V11.1.1

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Fusion 11.x is not supported on Big Sur, period.

There's no waiting which will fix that. Either do not upgrade to Big Sur, or upgrade to Fusion 12.

VMware has had to completely revise Fusion in order to make it work on Big Sur without using kernel modules. They are now using apple's hypervisor under the hood. It was a massive undertaking to get things going on Big Sur.
Download here:
https://vmware.com/go/getfusion

If you are not using VMware Fusion professionally there's even a free version of Fusion you can use nowadays.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
Krishna5481
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Fusion player version 12 solved my issue.. Thanks for the Post..

0 Kudos
flova72
Contributor
Contributor

Hello is there any update on this?

I have the same error. I don't have big sur beta. Version 11.1. I have 32GB of memory in my macbook pro 2018.

0 Kudos
flova72
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I didn't see other comments. I paid for the update to version 12 pro and I was able to make it work.

0 Kudos
vassilli
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a release for this issue? 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@vassilli wrote:

Is there a release for this issue? 

Yes, VMware Fusion 12.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
tinkerminions
Contributor
Contributor

can't try the new beta as its not supported on older macs. I can't even upgrade to the newer OS X

tinkerminions_0-1618613515920.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

tinkerminions, different issue then.

Please start a new topic and give as much information about the problem and information like VMware Fusion version, macOS/OS X version / hardware used etc..

thanks,
--
Wil

0 Kudos
emgun01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

yesterday I installed Big Sur to be able to install the current version of XCODE.

I am getting the same problem too.

VMWare version: Professional Version 10.1.5 (10950653)

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Regards,

Emre

0 Kudos
Shatha-ms8
Contributor
Contributor

I do have the same problem 

0 Kudos