VMware Communities
audenmahk
Contributor
Contributor

"Not Enough Physical Memory" error on MacOS Big Sur Beta 1

On MacOS Big Sur Beta 1, receiving the following error when launching any VMs that worked fine prior to update:

"Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings."

Mac has a total of 16GB of RAM, VM has 4096MB allocated in preferences, and shows that there is still 12GB available for the Mac.  Same issue no matter how much memory is allocated to the VM.

Posting to report to devs as potential bug with new beta, but obviously any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

55 Replies
sociallyencrypt
Contributor
Contributor

I am on the latest 20H2 Tech Preview and I am still facing this error.

siddiqui_au
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We will need to wait for an update to be performed by VMware. This issue has appeared now for a tech preview of Mac OS and will require VMware to facilate a solution.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sarge_Siddiqui
LinkedIn: https://au.linkedin.com/in/sargesiddiqui
StantonXu
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there, now the Big Sur official version is available. Do we have a solution for this "Not Enough Physical Memory" problem yet?

0 Kudos
soundsreasonabl
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to know of a solution, I've just downloaded Big Sur and I  get the message to, very annoying

Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you on Fusion 12?

What the host and guest hardware?

0 Kudos
soundsreasonabl
Contributor
Contributor

No Fusion 11

someone earlier in thread had upgraded to 12  but had same problem upon upgrading

Host is Big Sur guest is Windows 10

0 Kudos
Thicot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well... it's November 13th, Mac OS Big Sur has been released and this problem still exists, basically rendering Vmware Fusion 11.5.0 unusable. I could not find a solution yet, will post a Vmware ticket as I cannot use Vmware Fusion anymore!

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 11 doesn't support Big Sur as a client or host.  Upgrade to Fusion 12.

0 Kudos
soundsreasonabl
Contributor
Contributor

Please read full thread Someone earlier said they had Fusion 12 and had the same problem!!

PLUS I've only had Fusion 11 for a year, Im not forking out another £80. Why should we?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

soundsreasonbl said:

"Please read full thread Someone earlier said they had Fusion 12 and had the same problem!!

PLUS I've only had Fusion 11 for a year, Im not forking out another £80. Why should we?"

You are assuming that dlhotka had not read the whole thread. "Someone" did say they had that problem, but it is not a problem that has really been common or reported widespread. So far this is the first time I have seen it reported for Big Sur and Fusion 12 and we've been running this for months... (Fusion 12, Fusion preview and all the Big Sur beta's)

It is up to you if you are going to pay for an upgrade or not. Nobody is forcing you to pay, just like nobody forces you to upgrade to Big Sur. Fusion 11 continues to work great with macOS versions earlier than BS.

Please also note that there is a Free Player version nowadays, which is the same as the old non professional version of VMware Fusion. The following article has a link to that:
https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/09/fusion-12-now-available.html

If you are not using VMware Fusion professionally than that is really a great deal (free!)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
soundsreasonabl
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya Wil,

Thanks for getting back to me/us,

I do understand that it may not be a big problem and maybe even less of a problem with Version 12 but none the less I expect a non subscription programme to continue working longer than a year. I actually pick Fusion over Parallels as I didn't want a subscription based product however it is seeming to be like that.

I will give the player a go BUT that does not in my consumers opinion let VMWare off the hook

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Soundsreasonbl,

If it works or not depends on apple. If apple does not make too many changes then your VMware Fusion continues to work, even on a higher version of macOS. Sometimes we are lucky and you can continue to use Fusion for 2 or 3 consecutive macOS versions, other times however apple changes too many things at a low level on how things work.
The last couple of macOS versions it was more of the latter one I'm afraid. Although technically it was possible to run Fusion 8 on Catalina (I got that working on a test box), it wasn't recommended or supported.
With Big Sur's removal of support for kernel extensions older versions of VMware Fusion cannot work. VMware had to completely revise how they virtualize a guest OS here and use apple's Hypervisor framework. That's a major rewrite!

FWIW, I'm still happily using Fusion 11.x down here as my main machine isn't going to be upgraded to BS for a while.
Personally I run Big Sur only on my test machines and I don't expect that to change any day soon.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
hawrylma
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone provide the latest on this issue.  It looks like my VMware fusion is out of support  and I have no way to reach them and I am having this issue.  I would be happy to upgrade, but it looks like that won't solve the problem.  Is the fix on the VMware side or Apple?  Any information is appreciated as without a fix very soon, I will need to look at some involved work arounds.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you're having the error on Fusion 12 and Big Sur, you should be able to get support since it was just released.  If you're on an earlier version, then the fix is to upgrade to Fusion 12.  Fusion 11 won't work on Big Sur.

0 Kudos
Thicot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, the error message came from Fusion 11.5.0, I tried upgrade it to 11.5.6 and I got an insulting message from Fusion stating that this version of Fusion is incompatible with my current OS (Big Sur). I then went on a chase for the free version of Fusion Player 12 which is shamefully ABSOLUTELY NOT readily available and it has been a massive pain in the back since Vmware's website is not optimized for Safari, even the last version of Safari in Catalina. I was stuck in a loop on the step where you must verify your email and could not go further. So I switched to Firefox to finish the process and I could install Fusion Player 12 free version and open my VM, BUT...in the process, I lost Vmware Fusion 11 Pro which could connect to ESXi. So this is it for me, I am done with Vmware Fusion, it has been great for many years but Parallels beats them hands down on so many levels that I went for them. I tested both with the exact same VM on the same Big Sur host and there is little to compare performance wise, Parallels resumes in 2 seconds tops while Vmware struggles for 15 seconds, accessing share folders on the mac is a breeze on Parallels while it is sluggish in Vmware. I was willing to pay (again) for a Vmware upgrade but it has come way too soon and is not worth the hassle anymore. Other than that, having a free version of Vmware Fusion is great to use at home and learn about virtualization, it is just not easy to find that free download.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

Thicot said:
" it is just not easy to find that free download."

Not for you, but in case somebody else has the same problem, the download is here:
https://www.vmware.com/go/getfusion

--
Wil

Thicot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick link, could you please explain how you got that link in the first place? I mean, when you navigate Vmware website, there is no way you can find the link to the free edition. The normal path drives you to the store to buy a license!! I had to dig in the forums to find a way to get it.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Thicot,

I know about the link because I spent too much time at these forums 😉

Completely agree that the website is difficult to navigate and has a lot of consumer/user unfriendly side effects.
Having to switch browsers to get access to something or having to clear all cookies, switch to privacy mode etc.. are all common complaints. I don't know if any of that will ever be resolved.
Getting new forums is promising, but it has also a lot of new problems by itself.

edit:
Oh btw, the link is the same for the trial, pro and player version!
There is only one download. The difference is the license that you install.
--
Wil

bgilman
Contributor
Contributor

I've been on this forum all day, and just want to say, if you're experiencing this issue, the absolute only fix is UPGRADE. I got a 12.0 license today and everything is working perfectly once again!

AdityaBar
Contributor
Contributor

any one find the solution for this

0 Kudos