VMware Communities
deliciouscode
Contributor
Contributor

"Migrate Your PC" - Unable to share a folder to hold your migrated pc

Hi. I've been looking at the forum, I've only seen people having issues with firewalls and such. I don't even get that far. I put in the passcode, type in the admin/password, select the location for the virtual machine (on an external firewire 800 HD), and on the next screen I get the error

"VMware Fusion was unable to share a folder to hold your migrated PC"

I'm running Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro using Fusion 3.0.2. Trying to do it over wireless because, long story short, my laptop got damaged and the ethernet port doesn't work. Wireless has been working fine though.

• Fire Sharing is turned, including folders using SMB (Windows).

• Guesst account is turned on with folder sharing enabled

• Firewall is off

The PC I'm trying to migrate is a windows server 2003 64bit. I unistalled IIS because I read that you can't migrate a PC with IIS because it uses port 443.

The two Migration agent services are running on the pc.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
deliciouscode
Contributor
Contributor

That meant to say "File sharing is turned on" and "I uninstalled IIS...."

cough

Could it be something to do with the external harddrive?

0 Kudos
deliciouscode
Contributor
Contributor

FIXED!!!

The external hard drive was a windows formatted hard drive. I reformatted it under mac using the disk utility and got passed the error.

Hope this helps someone else out there.....

0 Kudos
syuroff
Contributor
Contributor

You might never see this, but thanks for following up when you found your solution- it helped me. I really appreciate it when someone posts a question, and can bring the solution to someone who searches for it in the future. You made the internet a bit better place today.

0 Kudos
SKEstes
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed! Solved my problem as well...3-and-a-half years later!

0 Kudos
falshammari
Contributor
Contributor

10 years later and still a working solution. Thanks

0 Kudos