VMware Communities
tj1234
Contributor
Contributor

"Logging in to your PC and gathering information." goes FOREVER, in migration assistant

I attached a screen shot png file. I'm wondering if i did something wrong? It hasn't finished "logging in" for hours.

I think I wish there were just a way to do this using my external hard drive. I exported my old machine using vmware converter, but I get an error, when I try to import it. I have attached that screen shot, also. I had downloaded vmware converter last week, before fusion 3 was released, and used that to put it on the external hard drive. I wonder if it's simply that it's not compatible with fusion 3.

I really don't care how I do it, I just want to get my PC on my Mac.

note: I have XP Professional SP3 on my pc, and snow leopard on my mac.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Joe2288
Contributor
Contributor

For the record, I have the same problems: the mac cannot connect remotely to the PC to start the migration, and the stand-alone converter reports that the version of the server connected to is not supported. This is with 4.0.1 of the converter - I uninstalled and installed 4.0.0 but no joy, that just crashed on starting. Unfortunately for me, I have uninstalled and re-installed several times, with system restarts, and have not gotten the converter or migration assistant to work.

Any suggestions are welcome, by myself and other respondants to this thread. If vmware has a solution to these twin problems, please share it with the rest of us as well.

0 Kudos
4chrisheuer
Contributor
Contributor

OK Folks. I found a solution. Or at least, it seems to be working right now finally (10 hours to go to migrate)

Here is what I did.

- install fusion

- install pc migration asst on pc

- fail to login, fail to move past gathering info, fail to connect yada yada

So I thought maybe Bonjour problem. So I clicked the ? icon in the vmware fusion migration setup screen and I found out I had to change some sharing options in the system preferences panel. I did that. Same problem.

So I went to PC and installed latest Bonjour fresh. Same problem.

I then unistalled Migration Asst from my PC (btw, win xp sp3) - it crashed. Started again on reboot with migration asst. Quit that, uninstalled by add/remove programs.

Restarted computer. Downloaded latest pc migration asst. Installed again fresh. Turned off all anti-virus. Restarted PC (important). Started migration asst on pc. Started vmware migration.

I then had the same login failure problem with the account not getting past the 'cant log you in' invalid credentials screen. So I created another admin user account on the PC. I then went to the migration asst in VMWare and entered those credentials (important - this was not the user currently actively logged in to the PC - it was a separate account)

I now have the migration moving, and its moving faster then the estimate on the screen.

Cross your fingers (and try this and let me know if it works)

Chris

0 Kudos
Macaroni
Contributor
Contributor

Holy crud, I thought I was persistent until I read your post - well done, but unfortunately it will be three days before I get near my hardware again to try your work-around.

Thanks for sharing...

0 Kudos
4chrisheuer
Contributor
Contributor

OK. Further information and yes, I did finally get my win XP migrated!!!! w00t

It did crash on me during the migration process and I noticed I was still out 100gb of hard drive space, but after I restarted the move, it seemed to clean itself up and give me back the space. After it crashed (and I screamed) late last night, I just restarted it and let it go. Woke up this am to see SUCCESS

Then ran into the win xp activation problem, and per other posters, if you are migrating a win xp from an oem license, you can still use it in the VM - but you need to get the license off the side of the pc you are migrating from and re-enter it, activate but do not register over the internet and voila...

you have a slow running version of win xp! now I can join the chorus of people complaining about performance, instead of lack thereof Smiley Happy

There is hope!

0 Kudos
jayotte
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to transfer my PC using the vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone.[http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0]

It did not include a Fusion 3 image format, so I tried a v2, and Fusion 3 could open it without a hitch.

0 Kudos