VMware Communities
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

"Insert" Key and Insert mode toggle

What key in the apple keyboard (both wireless external and laptop) toggles the "Insert" mode in XP when runnning fusion beta on macbookpro?

Mine seems to be stuck in the overwrite mode. I searched the forum and found found no articles.. thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

On my Apple USB keyboard, I found that the zero key on the keypad (that is, the wide 0 key to the left of the period key) toggles insert mode in Windows XP.

If pressing this key generates a zero instead, try toggling Num Lock. On my keyboard, the "clear" button (just above the 7 and just below the reduce-volume button) functions as Num Lock.

Incidentally, for a while I was stymied in figuring this one out by Notepad. Turns out that Notepad doesn't obey the insert mode! Or at least it didn't for me. But the zero key successfully functions as the insert toggle for me in both Word 2003 and the Windows command prompt.

0 Kudos
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Brainriceca,

I played with word it seems the help button on the wireless keyboard toggles the mode as well just like the wide 0 and is probably easier than worrying with numlock. have not tries the laptop keyboard yet (busy day) but I think the help button witll work again.

0 Kudos
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

I answered my own question.. here is the final answer for this

when using external keyboard - use the help key

when using the macboonpro keyboard - use fn+M

0 Kudos
GerhardKruger
Contributor
Contributor

If you are using the Mac USB Keyboard then use the shift key + the 0 (big 0 key) this will also toggle the insert mode.

0 Kudos