VMware Communities
chronos2g
Contributor
Contributor

"File not Found" after upgrading to Big Sur macOS 11

I upgraded my MBP 2013 to macOS 11 (Big Sur) before I upgraded my VMware Fusion Pro (v11.5+), and I got "file not found" since my macOS upgrade decided to "relocate" my VMware image (into a void of some kind - i.e., deleted).

Has anyone else run into this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Moved your post to the Fusion forum.

If your VM was located at a root folder then you are among people who have lost more data.
If your VM was restored with Time Machine then there's even many more people who have lost their VM.

Other cases from people loosing data due to relocation I have not heard about before, but it certainly is possible and it is one of the reasons I always recommend to take a backup of important data before a host OS upgrade.

(Time Machine backups of VM do not count! for example see: https://eclecticlight.co/2020/03/02/time-machine-15-large-files-including-vms/ )
Disclaimer, I am the author of Vimalin, virtual machine backup software for VMware Fusion (Workstation & Player

edit: While I answered your question. It might be more interesting to know if your VM can be repaired.
In order to figure that out we need to see the file list of your VM.|
Sadly these fancy new forums still do not support you to upload log files.. (grr) but you can attach screenshots of the VM folder (use "Show Package Contents" in finder after a right click on the VM bundle)
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
chronos2g
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Will. Yeah, I was a bit complacent with this because Mac OSX through Catalina didn’t require much of the restore action from backup after upgrade, but this was a doozy!

Thankfully I updated a MacBook Pro I no longer use much (and most of my data is on iCloud Drive).

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Time machine isn't reliable for VM's - on any version.  Strongly suggest using an alternate solution (either manual backups, or the tool listed in @wila signature

0 Kudos