VMware Communities
Rollo62
Contributor
Contributor

"Attributes of the file in the virtual machine cannot be retrieved. File copy operation is aborted."

Hi community,
I have tried a while to get through to the support team, but had no luck.
It seems that I cannot file my issue to the official product support, and I give up right now.
So I hope that at least here I could get some support with my issue from the VmWare experts.

I am using VmWare Fusion in the current version on a MacBook Pro with Win10 guest (current version).
In my Win10 guest I see from time to time a VmWare host popup message sporadically:
"Attribute der Datei in der virtuellen Maschine können nicht abgerufen werden. Dateikopiervorgang wird abgebrochen.",

which roughly translates to english as
"Attributes of the file in the virtual machine cannot be retrieved. File copy operation is aborted.".

After closing that popup it seems to work normally.
It seems to happens mostly after/while saving documents.
What could be the reason for that message ?
How can I prevent this problem to occur ?
Please send me some tips or advice howto handle this problem.

I would be very happy if you can give me some tips howto prevent that issue,
because although I haven't seen any issues yet, this message leaves a bad feeling,
to cope with loss of data one day.

Best regards,

Rolf

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MacOS version?

Fusion version?

VMware Tools installed?

Tried with any other VMs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Rollo62
Contributor
Contributor

Macos 10.15.7 Catalina

Fusion 12.1.2

VmWare tools: yes of course

Not tried any other, I use only VmWare.

Happens sporadically, hard to catch.
I thought it could be probably a known issue, also with some support from VmWare, regarding the error message.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Rolf,

Next time this happens, please reply to this thread and attach a vmware.log to your reply along with a note about the time frame on when it happened.
The log file might have a hint about what triggered this.

As the error message is indicating a "file copy" it seems to suggest this issue is related to a file drag & drop or other vmware tools file copy operation.

If this happened recently and you still know roughly when it happened you can attach your vmware log files now of course.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
BernhardStief
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've been having the same problem for a long time.

I can reproduce it. It happens when I copy a file from the Downloads folder (which is on the shared volume on Mac) to a local folder and mouse over from the Fusion window to another screen showing a Mac desktop.

The Fusion window hangs until I click the message.
Sometimes I can close the message and then go back to work - but often I get a blue screen!

My system:
macOS Catalina version 10.15.7
VMware Fusion version 11.5.7
VMware Tools installed
Windows 10

I would be grateful if you could give me a hint how to avoid the problem.

Best regards,
Bernhard

0 Kudos