VMware Communities
zxspectrum
Contributor
Contributor

problem connecting to the internet?

hi,

i am a new VM user and i just finished installing a fresh copy of Windows XP...anyway, i am using the default NAT connection but i can't find away to get online???

zx

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have an IP address in the guest? What's the output of "ipconfig /a"?

0 Kudos
zxspectrum
Contributor
Contributor

got it...it was little-snitch that blocked the conection...

0 Kudos
jrwyatt
Contributor
Contributor

i do not have little snich and have the same problem. get the message limted or no connectivity. HELP!

what do you mean (exactly) by in the guest? how do i check the IP address in the guest?

MacBook Pro (new) running tiger.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

what do you mean (exactly) by in the guest? how do i

check the IP address in the guest?

In the virtualization world, "host" refers to the operating system that controls the hardware; in this case it's OS X. "guest" refers to the operating system that runs in the virtual environment; for example, Windows/Linux/*BSD/Solaris/etc. Checking the IP address in the guest will depend on the guest OS.

0 Kudos
jrwyatt
Contributor
Contributor

OK - but how do i get the internet connection to work. interestingly enough, it works just fine on my new imac, but not on the mac book pro. please provide as detailed as possible instructions.

0 Kudos
jrwyatt
Contributor
Contributor

ipconfig gives an address for the guest.

0 Kudos
jrwyatt
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. taken a few steps the ipconfig /all gives windows IP Config as Host name robert-d7aa2f21, primary dns jrw.local, node type unknown, ip routing no, WINS proxy no, DNS suffix search list JRW.local

ethernet adapter local area connection says: Connection-specific DNS suffix descrition VMware accelerated amd pcnet adapter, physical address 00-0C-29-6E-0C-83, DHCP ENABLED YES, AUTOCONFIG ENABLED YES, AUTOCONFIG ADDRESS 169.254.192.255, SUBNET MASK 255.255.0.0 DEFAULT GATEWAY is blank, DNS servers 192.168.1.10.

HELP!

0 Kudos