VMware Communities
prpsarathy
Contributor
Contributor

peripheral not working - LandingZone Docking Station for the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

i observe that the latest version of vmware fusion does not recognize any peripheral which otherwise working in the previous version

LandingZone Docking Station for the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

VMware-Fusion-10.0.1-6754183.dmg - all usb device work in macbookpro 2017

VMware-Fusion-10.1.2-8502123.dmg - no  usb device work in macbookpro 2017

i went back to old version to have these peripheral working

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

hm, well that's lame, seems like a nice dock.

Any chance you can get us some logs of the broken version so we can take a look?

Specifically with 'Verbose USB Debugging' enabled so we can have a deep look at what's going wrong here?

(Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced > 'Enable Verbose USB Debugging')

Ideally you'd power off the VM, enable USB Debugging, power it on, try to make the peripheral work.

When satisfied you've 'done the thing that should work', click Help > Collect Support Information' and get us that .tgz file for review.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
prpsarathy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response.

I will move to the latest version and try what you have suggested and send back the details in couple of days time

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi prpsarathy,

Would you please refer to this thread USB devices no longer recognised on VMWare Fusion 10  and see if it helps?

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
prpsarathy
Contributor
Contributor

now it works.  pls take this in your next version for auto closure. thanks

There is a cumbersome workaround. I discovered this on a system running the public release of High Sierra 10.13 while installing Fusion 10.0.1 over top of 8.5.8.

Fusion 10 apparently does not install its USB extension until after the main installation. Maybe there's a good reason. When you first open a VM (mine was Windows XP), Fusion tries to write the USB extension to disk, but it is blocked by Apple's security.

To allow the USB extension, first open the System Preferences, Security & Privacy pane, unlock it, and then RETURN TO THE SHOW ALL PANE. The reason is that the Security pane will not refresh if it is showing (Apple's bad).

Next, start the newly installed Fusion 10 and open (but not run) a VM that normally uses USB. Now switch back to the Security pane and you should see a message about VMware with an Allow button. Click it. Nothing will happen. Close the open VM using its red button. Now click Allow and the message should disappear.

Quit and restart VMware Fusion. Run a VM and insert a USB device. It should be treated as you would expect. Maybe there's a simpler way, but the foregoing worked for me.

0 Kudos
prpsarathy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

when i start the vm after docking to docking station, all pheripherals get recognized.

i pause the vm and disconnect the docking station.  When i connect back none the pheripherals usb get recognized.

Only way for me is to shut down the vm and close vmware and restart.

is there any where to refresh the usb connection to the vw.

regards, Partha

0 Kudos