VMware Communities
sprotsman
Contributor
Contributor

ovftool missing in action?

I was reading this page, http://www.vmware.com/appliances/learn/ovf.html , and got excited over the ability to use my ovf images with Fusion. Sadly, I cannot import them. Then I found some threads via google suggesting the use of the ovftool; but this is nowhere to be found on VMware's website. What is up with the lack of support for the 'standard' in Fusion? Does anyone know where I can get a copy of ovftool so that I can convert my ovf images and use them in Fusion?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
sprotsman
Contributor
Contributor

Right, got that. Notice there is no Mac OS X version, however. Only Linux and Win downloads. Others in the forum has said they downloaded a Mac version.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anything new on import .ovf into Fusion 2.0.5? I need to import a virtual appliance by VMware called vMA.

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I think this has been covered before, OVF format is not supported under Fusion.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The full .dmg for Fusion 3.1 beta has ovftool as a custom install option. It's not currently integrated in the UI anywhere, which is partly why it's not installed by default. If you're comfortable with the command line and want to play with it, it gets installed to /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/ovftool/ovftool.

0 Kudos
bewst
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately it's missing in my full Fusion 3.1.2 installation Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately it's missing in my full Fusion 3.1.2 installation Smiley Sad

The OVF Tools should be located at "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/ovftool/ovftool" and if it's not there then you can mount the VMware-Fusion-3.1.2-332101.dmg disk image and then in a Terminal execute the following command to install it.

open "/Volumes/VMware Fusion/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.mpkg/Contents/Packages/com.vmware.fusion.ovftool.pkg"

Note: Before installing make sure you'll looking in the correct Library folder as the starting point in the Fully Qualified Pathname previously mentioned is in the root of the Macintosh HD not your Home Folder.

0 Kudos
lackhead
Contributor
Contributor

Note- the ovf tools seem to only appear on the full Fusion dmg file, the one that includes McAfee; the dmg file for Fusion that is labeled "only Vmware Fusion Software does not contain the ovf package.  At least, that is the case for 3.1.3.

Caveat Emptor.

-c

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There is absolutely no need to be uttering "Caveat Emptor" as it plainly states "Download including only VMware Fusion software" for the light version download.

If you've downloaded the light version then you received all that you're supposed to and if you don't want to download the full version then you can download and install the 'VMware OVF Tool 2.0.1 for Mac OSX" from VMware's Web Site.

Have a look at: OVF Tool Documentation

0 Kudos