VMware Communities
ColdPressed
Contributor
Contributor

option key functionality

Hello, This is a simple question, but I couldn't find an an answer.  I am learning to use Rhino and one of the functions is "elevator mode,' which constrains the movement of the pointer to a perpendicular trajectory when setting points for a curved line.  To enable elevator mode, one holds down the 'option' key, picks a point, then drags along a tracking line that appears.  When I try this, the option key seems to have to effect.  To use the option key as it would be used in a Windows environment, do I need to do something different on the Mac?  I've tried holding it down while also holding down the other obvious keys ('fN' 'shift' 'option' 'command') with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Macbook Pro

OSX 10.6.6

Fusion 3.1.2

0 Kudos
11 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Since no one has answered...

I've never used Rhino and while I understand what you mean by "elevator mode", your description of the use of the Option key in a Windows environment is confusing.  But hopefully the following is what you want:

Option = Windows key

If you installed Windows in Boot Camp, that is the way the key works.  So if you mean how to use Rhino for Windows in a Windows virtual machine running in Fusion on Mac, then the Option key would be the equivalent to the Winows key.  However, I think Fusion doesn't pass that keypress to the virtual machine so you have to add that to the Keyboard Mappings in Fusion Preferences.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

then the Option key would be the equivalent to the Winows key.  However, I think Fusion doesn't pass that keypress to the virtual machine so you have to add that to the Keyboard Mappings in Fusion Preferences.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Obviously Windows doesn't have an Option key however in Windows the equivalent is the Alt key and the default VMware Fusion Key Mapping for the Option key is the Alt key.

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, my bad, I meant Alt, not Windows key. <:(

0 Kudos
ColdPressed
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to both of you for responding.  I apologize, I was speaking of the wrong key.  The key in question is the 'control' key.  I am still having the issue, but when I hold down the 'control' + the 'command' keys together, while left-click dragging, Elevator Mode partially works, at least a line of extension running perpendicular to the construction plane appears as it should, but the object that I am attempting to move remains in place. 

My question essentially is:  is there a key combo necessary in Fusion to replicate the function of the control key as it would work normally on a PC in conjunction with the left-click-drag action of the mouse?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Control-click is normally used as "secondary mouse button" (a.k.a.: right-click) since Macs normally only have one mouse button.  Try disabling Mouse Shortcuts in VMware Fusion, Preferences.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Randall T. Asato wrote:

since Macs normally only have one mouse button.

Are you serious, do you even own a Mac? Smiley Happy  All Intel based Mac's have and or support 2 (or more depending on the type mouse) Mouse buttons.  If they didn't then why, at its simplest, does the Mouse Preferences sheet allow one to choose the "Primary mouse button:" either "Left" or "Right" as shown in the image below?

OS_X_Preferences_Mouse.png

That was true before Intel base Mac's however since VMware Fusion requires an Intel based Mac then only Intel based Mac's are applicable to this discussion.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

WoodyZ wrote:

Randall T. Asato wrote:

since Macs normally only have one mouse button.

Are you serious, do you even own a Mac? Smiley Happy  All Intel based Mac's have and or support 2 (or more depending on the type mouse) Mouse buttons. 

I did NOT say that OSX did NOT support multiple buttons.  I said that Macs usually only have one phydical button, particularly the Macbooks and Macbook Pros. While some recent Apple mice have two 'buttons", the trackpad Macs have only one button.  I believe even the "buttonless" trackpad's physical click action is still only one "button".  Since the Apple Trackpad is now available as a standard option with a desktop Mac and the Apple mice are not included by default, one cannot assume that every Mac will have two buttons.  Therefore, my statement is still valid and my advice stil is applicable.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

A Trackpad is not a Mouse, it's a Trackpad and while they can perform similar functions they are separate pieces of hardware and while the mice shipped with Mac's prior to Intel based were one button nonetheless that went by the wayside with the advent of the Apple Mighty Mouse (also called Apple Mouse) and is a multi-button USB mouse which has now been replaced with the Magic Mouse which has two-button click and much more i.e. Gestures.  Additionally since you're wanting to try and change the focus from what you originally said only mentioning Mouse not Trackpad in what I originally replied to, you do not even need to use the keypad in conjunction with the Trackpad to bring up the Context menu, simply do a two-finger click.

Your comment "since Macs normally only have one mouse button." is dated and wrong in the overall context of mice that ship with and or can be purchased after the fact with today's Intel based Macs that VMware Fusion runs on!

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Woody, stop being such a jerk.  If you're only going to attack me, you're not really helping the OP.  You don't have to be so bitchy and nitpicky just to show off, which is your normal way of posting.  I normally don't respond to anything you've already gotten your hooks into just to avoid crap such as this.  But you need to show off so go ahead and take over this thread since you will anyway.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First off all lets get something straight, I'm not attacking you nor is there any intent on my part to do so!

You're the one that said "(Correct me if I'm wrong.)", did you not!?  So I did and if you have a problem with that well that's just to bad and I mean nothing personal by it and I can't stop you from taking it that way if you're foolish enough to do so!

I like you do not use Rino so I really can help the OP with this particular issue but that's not going to stop me from responding to erroneous information I come across in the process of reading a thread!

Every Intel based Macintosh computer that I've setup at Client Sites that has come directly from Apple has come with a Mouse from Apple that has two or more buttons and the Preferences show two or more depending on the Mouse so I do not consider stating the facts as being bitchy and or nitpicking but just being accurate and stating the facts and if you or anyone else has a problem with that, well what can I say but, to bad... get over it.

0 Kudos
ColdPressed
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks again to both of you for weighing in on this.  Let's leave it here.

0 Kudos