VMware Communities
Aide
Contributor
Contributor

not enough ram

I am running leopard and am Trying to use fusion to use microsoft gist 32 bit

when I try to install it says I don't have enough ram. My computer has512 MBA ram but in settings I can only use up to 376 of it

any ideas

thnx

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Vista requires 512 MB RAM, but you don't have that much available (remember that OS X needs some to run too!). With 512 MB on the host, I would be reluctant to go above about 160 MB for the guest, even if Fusion lets you go higher. You need to add more RAM to the Mac - I would suggest going up to 2 GB if you want to run Vista as a guest.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

With 512 MB of RAM in your OS X try running Windows 2000 with 128 MB of RAM or less. Or upgrade your host RAM. For running XP in a VM, I recommend a host with 1 GB or more and for Vista, like second Eric's recommendation: 2 GB or more on your OS X host.

Host RAM

Guest OS

Guest OS RAM

512 MB

Windows 2000

128 MB

1 GB

Windows XP

256 MB

2 GB

Windows Vista, x86

512 MB

You can also run Windows Vista in Boot Camp.

0 Kudos
Aide
Contributor
Contributor

If I started Windows in boot camp could i make a virtual machine from the boot camp partition? or would that still not work.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You must still meet the guidelines above to use VMware Fusion. Fusion will recognize your Boot Camp partition but if you run it, it will cause problems. You can start with Boot Camp and after you add host RAM, THEN you can use VMware.

0 Kudos
Aide
Contributor
Contributor

how much does ram for a MacBook cost? Where can I buy it, can I install it myself, could I try to install vista on bootcamp then downgrade to xp?

Thnx,

dave

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You can buy it from the Apple Online Store. Most users can install their own RAM, the toughest part is either opening the system (mac mini) to having the right tool for MacBook/MacBook Pro (00 philips screwdriver). Anyway, there are a lot of places to shop for RAM, e.g. dealram, newegg and my favorite OWC are Mac-friendly.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can buy it from the Apple Online Store. Most users can install their own RAM, the toughest part is either opening the system (mac mini) to having the right tool for MacBook/MacBook Pro (00 philips screwdriver). Anyway, there are a lot of places to shop for RAM, e.g. dealram, newegg and my favorite OWC are Mac-friendly.

I wouldn't advise buying RAM from Apple directly, IMHO. You'll wind up paying a pretty steep premium for industry standard RAM. I'd suggest going to a local computer shop (or even a big box store like Best Buy - you'll still save money) and they can install it for you if you're not comfortable with it.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how much does ram for a MacBook cost? Where can I buy it, can I install it myself, could I try to install vista on bootcamp then downgrade to xp?

Thnx,

dave

I wouldn't bother trying to install Vista in 512 MB. The experience in both installing it and running it will be rather painful. You also can't "downgrade", you'd have to clean reinstall XP.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I wouldn't advise buying RAM from Apple directly, IMHO. You'll wind up paying a pretty steep premium for industry standard RAM. I'd suggest going to a local computer shop (or even a big box store like Best Buy - you'll still save money) and they can install it for you if you're not comfortable with it.

The big box stores have nearly the same markup as Apple. Either get real Apple RAM from an Apple Store or an authorized service outlet or go DIY from a bargain RAM dealer with quality parts. If you're uncomfortable with installing, get a local reputable tech to recommend and install it.

I've bought RAM from all of the above, including Apple. Once you do it yourself you'll never go back.

Like said running Windows Vista in 512 MB is anemic and going back to XP means a complete re-install. XP will run well in 512 MB, btw.

0 Kudos
Aide
Contributor
Contributor

I have replaced my hard drive on my macbook and i'm pretty sure i can do ram to. I will buy from OWC because i have had good experience there from buying my new hard drive and a case for the old one. Thnx for all your guys help

john

0 Kudos
learnmedia
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with not buying RAM from either Apple (gawd, no) or from places like Best Buy. My favorite is New Egg. Just maxed out my new Black Macbook that Santa gave me for Christmas with 4 GB of RAM for $80.00! It's G.Skill brand and works great. It's a popular brand in the PC enthusiast community and I've used this brand in custom PC builds I do without fail. For comparison sake, Apple wants $850.00!!!!! (Unscrupulous Apple. Shame on you.) And trust me there is no Apple branded memory. In both my daughters Macbook and mine the RAM I removed was Hynix (Korean made). In the past they've used Crucial. Save your self some money and go New Egg. Good luck.

BTW, Fusion runs great on both our machines. Love it.

Happy New Year!

0 Kudos