VMware Communities
Haaramsacki
Contributor
Contributor

no use

I have a Windows XP installation with Bootcamp1.4 and Fusion 1.0 on my BacBook Pro.

Fusion so far works fine, but there is no Firewire and multi processor support etc.

It takes a long time to start Windows with Fusion and even longer with Unity.

I don't have full functionality like with Bootcamp.

So what are Fusion or Parallels good for?

I think they are good for people who like to play with their computers to see what is possible.

I have to do business. For me Fusion is wasting time and money. If I have to do Windows jobs I use Bootcamp and change back to Mac. Fast, easy, with full functionality.

ps: Quitting Fusion vanishes the WindowsHD. After rebooting it appears again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a Windows XP installation with Bootcamp1.4 and

Fusion 1.0 on my BacBook Pro.

Fusion so far works fine, but there is no Firewire

and multi processor support etc.

No Firewire... yep. Apparently there are no virtualization systems which do firewire.

There definitely is multi processor support.

What's the rest of your "etc"?

It takes a long time to start Windows with Fusion and

even longer with Unity.

Just timed starting my Windows installation. 30 seconds from clicking run to the Windows desktop being active & ready. Not what I'd call a "long time".

I don't have full functionality like with Bootcamp.

So what are Fusion or Parallels good for?

You launch with Bootcamp, you no longer have access to programs in OSX. If you boot to OSX you no longer have access to programs in Windows. Plus running Linux. Plus running Solaris. (Plus a myriad of other x86/x86_64 OSes) All at the same time if you've got enough resources.

I think they are good for people who like to play

with their computers to see what is possible.

Statements like this make it look like you have absolutely no interest in solving whatever problems you may be encountering. Pointlessly inflammatory.

I have to do business. For me Fusion is wasting time

and money. If I have to do Windows jobs I use

Bootcamp and change back to Mac. Fast, easy, with

full functionality.

Where I can do all of my business in VMs. To each his own.

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I run a large development shop in VMWare. Full Visual Studio 2005 with multiple ARM emulators running, QuickBooks, and so on. We're doing real business here.

You're not going to get Firewire emulation (not sure it'd even be usable even if the code was there). There is multiprocessing support, though.

0 Kudos
erichtn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm a PhD candidate in English, and most of my time is spent on research and writing, for which I use OS X. I do localization engineering work on the side, and almost all of it is Windows-based. I ditched my Windows boxes a year or so ago, and have done all my localization work in VMsfirst in Parallels, now in Fusionand have never had any problem with this setup. In fact, certain features, like snapshots and being able to back up multiple VM configurations, have been a godsend.

I'm not sure the OP meant to elicit constructive feedback, but I for one find Fusion to be a real boon for getting work done.

0 Kudos