VMware Communities
redens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no route to host

Hi,

I have a brand new iMAC with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 installed (all updates are installed to).

I have VMWare Fusion 5.0.2. installed also.

Now when i turn on VMWare Fusion my internet connection is not active in mountain lion.

While all the following is perfectly configured:

- Ethernet of host machine is configured with DHCP with its own IP addres.

- Network adapter in VM is configured to be bridged (to get its own IP address) and when i am within the OS that is installed on the VM the IP i get back is a diffirent one then the host OS.

- Within the OS installed on the VM i have internet connection!

- Within mountain lion through network tools i cant do a traceroute to anything outside of the network.

- I can approach the VM or any computer within my local network from mountain lion.

What steps could i do to figure out what is wrong with eighter mountain lion OS-X or VMWare fusion 5?

Best regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The main problem seems to be the virtual networks for "host-only", "NAT" and "shared".

For these 3 virtual networks there are 3 ethernet adapters added to your Mac OS-X.

By default only 2 not 3 virtual networks are created by VMware Fusion, VMnet1 (Host Only or Private to my Mac) and VMnet8 (NAT or Share with my Mac).  The "add_bridge_mapping en0 2" is not a default and is created if a User chooses to bind the Bridge to a specific Host NIC.

Where yes needs to be no.

Stop VMWare Fusion and restart.

With the following command in the terminal you will see only the en0 ethernet adapter:

ifconfig

Now startup the host OS and voila it should work.

Be aware that it might be possible that you need to do these steps again once you altered the network settings through the GUI of VMWare.

Because it is a configuration file and it might be edited again by VMWare Fusion.

I have not tested this since its now working for me.

Removing VMnet1 and VMnet8 from the Host and not having them available for the Guest's is fine if you only ever need to use Bridged Networking however it is not always practical so while this particular workaround may have helped you it is not necessarily the answer for others having Internet/Network Connectivity issues! Smiley Wink

Additionally if one is going to manually edit any of VMware Fusion's configuration files it should be done with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed... so your steps are not in proper context! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As you mentions  Network adapter in VM is configured to be bridged (to get its own IP  address) and when i am within the OS that is installed on the VM the IP i  get back is a diffirent one then the host OS. If you are using brodge network then you have to get same subnet ip address as your host. I think you configure the vm NIC as DHCP then renew the ip address also make sure that you are getting same subnet IP address as your host.

redens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am sorry but this is not the sollution to my problem.

Within my OS on the VM i have the same DNS / WINS / Gateway settings as on the Mac.

All is identical , except the IP address, that is diffirent.

Does anyone have another possible sollution?

Best regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
redens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

For everybody who is still struggling with this issue i have bit of a hack that might help you.

It appears that VMWare Fusion has some trouble with Active Directory and DNS.

The main problem seems to be the virtual networks for "host-only", "NAT" and "shared".

For these 3 virtual networks there are 3 ethernet adapters added to your Mac OS-X.

For me i needed Bridged networking so i just disabled the other 3 network adapters within the following configuration file:

/Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking

I did this by opening up the terminal and executing the following command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking

And i changed the settings as following:

VERSION=1,0

answer VNET_1_DHCP no

answer VNET_1_DHCP_CFG_HASH ...

answer VNET_1_HOSTONLY_NETMASK ...

answer VNET_1_HOSTONLY_SUBNET ...

answer VNET_1_VIRTUAL_ADAPTER no

answer VNET_8_DHCP no

answer VNET_8_DHCP_CFG_HASH ...

answer VNET_8_HOSTONLY_NETMASK ...

answer VNET_8_HOSTONLY_SUBNET ...

answer VNET_8_NAT no

answer VNET_8_VIRTUAL_ADAPTER no

add_bridge_mapping en0 2

With the following command in the terminal you will see only the en0 ethernet adapter:

ifconfig

Be aware that it might be possible that you need to do these steps again once you altered the network settings through the GUI of VMWare.

Because it is a configuration file and it might be edited again by VMWare Fusion.

Best regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default only 2 not 3 virtual networks are created by VMware Fusion, VMnet1 (Host Only or Private to my Mac) and VMnet8 (NAT or Share with my Mac).  The "add_bridge_mapping en0 2" is not a default and is created if a User chooses to bind the Bridge to a specific Host NIC.

ifconfig

Removing VMnet1 and VMnet8 from the Host and not having them available for the Guest's is fine if you only ever need to use Bridged Networking however it is not always practical so while this particular workaround may have helped you it is not necessarily the answer for others having Internet/Network Connectivity issues! Smiley Wink

Additionally if one is going to manually edit any of VMware Fusion's configuration files it should be done with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed... so your steps are not in proper context! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

- Network adapter in VM is configured to be bridged (to get its own IP address) and when i am within the OS that is installed on the VM the IP i get back is a diffirent one then the host OS.

It probably would have been more helpful if you'd actually provided the IP Address Subnet information however I'll assume that since the Guest was configured as Bridged with DHCP the different IP Address Subnet was an IANA IP Address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range. (RFC 5735 — Special-Use IPv4 Addresses)

redens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

You are right on everything you say.

It just helped me to get VMWare Fusion to work on my Mac.

And it working well in my particular situation.

It maybe helpfull to someone.

I just wish it was possible to control the network settings on this level in VMWare userinterace.

That would have made the steps i described not nessesary.

To awnser your question why i did not post the entire network settings is easy, i am just not allowed to do so.

Disabling the network adapters like i did was the trick that helped me.

It may help someone else.

Best regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are right on everything you say.

It just helped me to get VMWare Fusion to work on my Mac.

And it working well in my particular situation.

It maybe helpfull to someone.

Yes it was helpful in your situation and it may also be for some others but not necessarily all others and also I posted what I did because while it was a workaround solution in your particular case nonetheless I consider it to be an extreme workaround and should only be implemented if one only needs Bridged Networking and or another fix/workaround can be implemented that doesn't cripple the defaults.

I just wish it was possible to control the network settings on this level in VMWare userinterace.

With VMware Fusion 5 Professional there is a Virtual Network Editor in VMware Fusion's Preferences.  So between that and the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter Settings GUI the same should have been able to accomplish without manually editing the networking file.  If you don't have VMware Fusion 5 Professional then manually editing is the other native option however there is a third party tool out there that can do it also although  I'd opt for manual editing if I didn't have VMware Fusion 5 Professional.

To awnser your question why i did not post the entire network settings is easy, i am just not allowed to do so.

In Corporate environments this is certainly understandable however if it was as I suspect an IANA IP Address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range (RFC 5735 — Special-Use IPv4 Addresses) I doubt that it would have been an issue to report that.  Again the reason for mentioning including relevant technical information when seeking help with technical issues to make it easier for those of us that help in these forums to do it more easily and as others read they hopefully will become aware that technical issues may need technical details to resolve more easily.  I probably would have helped you when you first posted however I've been, and still am for another week, on vacation so I haven't responded to as many posts in the last two weeks as I normally would.

Disabling the network adapters like i did was the trick that helped me.

It may help someone else.

It's always good to post what helped resolve an issue so others can benifite from it! Smiley Wink   For others having connectivity issues just remember in cases such as this, removing the defaults, it needs to be done with proper considerations.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

With VMware Fusion 5 Professional there is a Virtual Network Editor in VMware Fusion's Preferences.  So between that and the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter Settings GUI the same should have been able to accomplish without manually editing the networking file.  If you don't have VMware Fusion 5 Professional then manually editing is the other native option however there is a third party tool out there that can do it also although  I'd opt for manual editing if I didn't have VMware Fusion 5 Professional.

Really?  If I go into the preferences it will allow me to adjust new custom networks, but all of the default supplied networks are unmodifyable.  So if I wanted to remove NAT and Host-only, I could not (via the GUI).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was not at a system I could check and that is why I said "should" not "could" when I said "...the same should have..." believing because the Virtual Network Editor in VMware Workstation does allow for the removal of the default VMnets.  This is just one more thing about the "Professional" version of VMware Fusion that make its a joke!  Looks like, as it been from the beginning of VMware Fusion, manually editing configurations files for things such as this it the only way to go! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos