VMware Communities
gaz0303
Contributor
Contributor

no keyboard or mouse

I've installed VMware-Fusion-1.1.1-72241 and ran it using my boot camp partition (windows xp service packs installed). However I have no mouse or keyboard function to continue installation process of the vmtools or new hardware that the systems find. Any help? I've tried the grab function, re-installing, using external mouse and keyboard.

Boot camp works and I got parallels desktop working with the mouse and keyboard. My mac is 10.5.1 on 2.4 Ghz Intel mac with 2GB 667mhz memory. I have uninstalled parallels as my trial expired.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using Boot Camp partation under Fusion? and which keyboard and mouse you are using?

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
gaz0303
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am using the boot camp partition with fusion - I have tried just using the macbook's keyboard and mouse and also the apple wired external keybard and mighty mouse.

The same keyboard mouse combos worked with boot camp and parallels

Cheers

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I recommend booting back into Boot Camp and if possible uninstall the Parallels Tools. Then set your XP machine to boot automatically to the desktop so you don't have to login. If your XP machine is asking for a login, the easiest way to make it automatic is to setup the account to login as with Start > Run > control userpasswords2 (unchecking "users must enter a password to login"). Test that Boot Camp starts up all the way to the desktop with no user input, then boot back in to OS X, without Fusion running, delete this folder: in the Finder use Go > Go To Folder... > enter in "~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" and delete the %2Fdev%2Fdisk... folder. Then open Fusion and start your Boot Camp partition. VMware should setup the Tools for you completely, automatically.

0 Kudos
gaz0303
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...Almost there...

I am unable to unistall parallel tools in XP using bootcamp as the message says the virtual machine must be running to uninstall them. The files are also locked and can't be deleted. Can't run parallels as activation key is now required. How can I delete these files?

Deleting the folder as suggested above results in the VMware tools trying to install at start up but the message says unable to install mouse driver - do manually later. Can't click the ok button for installation to proceed. I think the parallels tools are the problem - just can't delete them.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Even if your mouse isn't working Windows is navigable through the keyboard (although tedious), for OK button 'click' you can hit enter/return, to move around buttons to highlight them you can use tab, alt-tab to switch between windows or apps, alt to activate the menu bar, arrows to drive drop-down menus, cmd-key to bring up the Start menu, alt-fn-F4 to close the top window, etc.

Although you're trying to use Fusion, the time I checked you can't uninstall the Parallel Tools without their software. You may want to check for an update on this issue on Parallel's forum (it is their software after all...)

One thing you can do without uninstalling Parallels Tools is delete the mouse device (via the keyboard) and use plug-n-play to re-detect VMware's pointing device. You would run device manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > OK), use tab to highlight the computer, then down arrow to get to "Mice and other pointing devices", use right arrow to open the section, down arrow to select the active mouse. If there is no mouse, use alt to bring up the menu bar and toggle View > Show hidden devices. Finally use fn-delete to delete all of the mice present, then use alt key to select Action > Scan for hardware (this is plug-n-play). After this you should have a working mouse, if not re-run (in OS X), Virtual Machine > Install Vmware Tools.

Yes working with devices is UGLY in Windows but it comes with the territory even under Fusion and OS X. Once the mouse is working, it should work going forward.

0 Kudos
gaz0303
Contributor
Contributor

Problem fixed...

With no keyboard either I was really stuck. After looking at parallels discussion boards I realised uninstalling their tools without their software was next to impossible. I deleted my bootcamp partition and traces of parallels on the mac and started again with VMware. Not a single problem. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos