VMware Communities
mike_t1
Contributor
Contributor

networking broken on 5.0.2?

I have been trying to get networking working again on my linux VM after upgrading from 4 to 5.0.2 without any success.  I read a few posts in this forum and it appears I'm not the only one with the problem.  In vmware 4 I had the network configured as a shared network and I configured port forwarding in the configuration files.  After upgrading to 5 I couldn't get the network up so I tried reconfiguring it as bridged networking.  On the host mac, I have 2 network cards, one with a fixed IP and one with DHCP issued IP address.  I tried to reconfigure the linux VM to use the fixed IP card in bridged mode but I haven't been able to get it to work reliably.  Twice I got internet access on the VM, but I get an error on the host 'another device on the network is using your computer's IP address'.  Am I supposed to configure the host ethernet adaptor with an IP address?  If I don't configure an IP address on the host, then VMWare does nto show the device as active, when I try to configure the VMs network.  Whether I enter the IP address on the host ethernet adaptor or now, I can't get the network running on the VM.  Any ideas?  I read in another thread that someone else is trying to downgrade to 5.0.1.  I may try that but the the link to fusion 5.0.1 was broken.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I may try that but the the link to fusion 5.0.1 was broken.

You can download the VMware-Fusion-5.0.1-825449.dmg install image from VMware. (BTW This links works for me so I assume the link your tried was not this one I posted Nov 12, 2012 9:20 AM Re: 5.0.2 Update networking issue)

0 Kudos
mike_t1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's the link that I tried but all I get is an empty white rectangle where the download information should be. Probably the information is tied to the user's session.  I'm browsing around the website now to try to find the link.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Use the following link: Download VMware Fusion

Then click the View Download button and it will default to the latest (5.0.2 at the moment) however now select 5.0.1 in the Version drop-down list box.

0 Kudos
mike_t1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that link worked.  I just followed it through a couple of pages until I got to one where I could select which version I wanted to download.

Thanks!  I'll install it and see if the network works again...

Mike

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BTW Downgrading worked for the OP of that other thread, hope it works for you and others as well. Smiley Happy

mike_t1
Contributor
Contributor

5.0.1 bridged networking seems to be working fine for me.  To get it to work, I had to ensure that on Mac OS the ethernet card was on the list of network devices in the control panel, but that the IPv4 configuration was set to Off.  I'm pretty sure that I tried this combination of settings using 5.0.2 and it didn't work.  In any case, I'll wait till 5.0.3 comes out to upgrade again.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

mike.t wrote:

5.0.1 bridged networking seems to be working fine for me.  To get it to work, I had to ensure that on Mac OS the ethernet card was on the list of network devices in the control panel, but that the IPv4 configuration was set to Off.  I'm pretty sure that I tried this combination of settings using 5.0.2 and it didn't work.  In any case, I'll wait till 5.0.3 comes out to upgrade again.

Hi Mike,

I think you need to have one of your VM network adapters in custom bridged mode, if you want your two VM adapters reside in two different networks the same as your Mac OS. Autobridge network will have the same network as your first physical adapter list in Mac System Preferences.

To bridge a VM network adapter to an specific host network adapter, you can open VM network adapter settings and check the radio button list next to the adapter list under "Bridged Networking" (e.g. Ethernet or Wi-Fi or others). Then if your Ethernet of Wi-Fi is using fixed IP, you should configure your VM adapter in the same network as the adapter it's bridged to. Hope this could help.

Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having  the same networking problem.  I plan to downgrade to 5.0.1.  What do I have to do with 5.0.2 first?  Can I install 5.0.1 over 5.0.2, or is there someway to delete VMWare Fusion and start over? 

I have been having problems with disconnect since 5.0.2 but now I can't even access the internet.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Marjean wrote: I plan to downgrade to 5.0.1.  What do I have to do with 5.0.2 first?  Can I install 5.0.1 over 5.0.2, or is there someway to delete VMWare Fusion and start over?

Basically just uninstall VMware Tools, uninstall VMware Fusion, reinstall VMware Fusion and reinstall VMware Tools.

Have a look at: Uninstalling, reinstalling, and upgrading VMware Fusion (1014529)

0 Kudos
mike_t1
Contributor
Contributor

HI  LittleEyes -  in 5.0.2 I tried setting up networking with ehternet card configured with an IP address in both ethe mac and the VM, but I couldn't get the network up in the vm.  In 5.0.1 I tried with the IP address in the VM, but not in the Mac and it works, so at this point I'm going to leave it.  when 5.0.3 is released (I assume there will eventually be one) I'll try it.

cheers

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I deleted tools, deleted VMWare Fusion, reinstalled (downgraded) 5.0.1.  Same problem exists.  It's a mess.  Previously I would experience a network cable disconnect.  Now can't access internet at all.  The following are error messages being received:

Incoming server ‘pop.gmail.com’ cannot be found.  Please verify that you are connected to the internet, and that the server address is correct, and try again.  Details:  Failed to find host.  Socket error 11001, Port 995, Protocol POP.  No such host is known.

Local Area Connection

A network cable is unplugged

In Network Adapter, it shows green:  Share with my Mac, Autodetect, Ethernet. Red:  WI-FI, Bluetooth PAN.  I believe these are correct.  However, Private to my Mac is also green which I believe is correct, but I accidentally clicked on the blank circle and cannot figure out how to uncheck that. 

I really need help here. 

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Marilyn, part of the issue is that the Network Adapter is configured as "Private to my Mac" (Host-Only) and you should use either "Share with my Mac" (NAT) or "Bridged Networking", if applicable.  Have a look at: Configuring the Network Connection

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I followed the instructions on the link you gave me. 

I changed Network Connection Options to “Bridged Networking because I connect to the internet via Ethernet.

I then got the following messages:

Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address (**.***.**.121).  Try connecting again later.  If you continue to have problems, change the IP address of this computer or the IP address of the other device.  Contact the network administrator if you need more information.

I am now not able to access the internet on the Mac side.

On the windows side, Local Area Connection

This connection has limited or no connectivity.  You might  not be able to access the Internet or some network resources.  For more information, click this message.

I then changed to NAT and can now access the internet on the Mac side, but not in VMWare Fusion (Windows XP).

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could the problem be in the Network Adapter?

Shown as active (green) is Share with my Mac, Autodetect, Ethernet, and Private to my Mac.  Should Private to my Mac be active along with the others?  If not, how do I deactivate Private to my Mac?

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does Network Adapter look appropriate?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes that looks right.

0 Kudos
Marjean