VMware Communities
xjianz
Contributor
Contributor

network disconnected constantly

Runing VMware fusion 5.0.1 with MacBook Pro with Retinal display (OS X 10.8.2)

The guest windows xp constantly gets no network connectio disconnectly. The network icon in the system tray in xp showed the connection was still connected but the network is not working. I had to rebook my macbook to get this problem solved. But it's really annoying to reboot. I tried to uninstall VMmare, remove all preferences and  reinstall. But still not geting the problem solved. What sould I do?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could you please remove the adapter and add again. and configure the IP address. This may help.

Cheers, Udin

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Check the internet connection after performing each steps :

1) Reinstall vmware tools.

2) Then check the status of the network adapter in device manager.

( What is the name of the network drive listed in device manager? )

3) Try to change the network adapter ( if it was in nat mode change it to bridged , if it was in bridged change it to nat )

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
xjianz
Contributor
Contributor

A while ago I tried removing and adding the network adapter, also tried re-installing the vmware drivers in the guest. None seemed to work.

Just tried to change ANT to bridge. It seems to work now. But why the NAT option is not working. I had the same problem in VMware fusion 4, now the same problem in verison 5. VMware fusion does not provide very stable virtual networking 😞

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

There can be many reasons why this could happen. Especially if you are using a wireless connection. In Bridged mode, the Virtual Machine gets the IP address directly from the router.

Monitor the connection for couple of days .

In my opinion you should not be facing this issue.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having  the same networking problem.  I plan to downgrade to 5.0.1.  What do I have to do with 5.0.2 first?  Can I install 5.0.1 over 5.0.2, or is there someway to delete VMWare Fusion and start over?

I have been having problems with disconnect since 5.0.2 but now I can't even access the internet.

0 Kudos
xjianz
Contributor
Contributor

To be safe, it's better to uninstall first. Check this page for complete uninstall http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101783...

Not sure if downgrade will help, I have the problem even with version 5.0.1

I have a rought feeling that this problem is caused by upgrade. If you steak to one version and never upgrade, you will not have the problem. As soon as you started to play wih different version, problem will start to exist.

0 Kudos