VMware Communities
thro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

network boot/install OS X guest from Lion server fails

Hi all,

I'm trying to network boot a Lion guest to test my Lion server net install image.  And also so that i can install future Lion guests more simply (same way I'd do my physical machine).

It doesn't work.

Steps to re-create:  create new Lion VM guest.  Attempt to boot Lion installer from Lion server on network (NIC confirmed as in bridge mode, on wired ethernet).  Fails.

Have confirmed the net install works on physical hardware.

Is there something i am doing wrong, or is this not supported.  If it isn't supported, is there a time frame for it to be supported?

Tried this with all of the last version of 3.x, release version of 4, and 4.1 updated a few days ago.

edit:

to clarify:  the net install is coming off a mac mini physical server, not a lion server VM.  I'm tryign to install into a VM from a Physical netboot server.

I use/administer: vSphere 6.0 (ESXi) | Workstation 12.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Vmware Fusion 12.5 | Windows | FreeBSD | Redhat EL
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi thro,

NetBoot, and the Boot Service Discovery Protocol on which it depends, are Apple-specific firmware components which are currently not implemented in a VMware virtual machine.  The NetInstall process in turn depends on NetBoot.  You will not be able to NetBoot or NetInstall within a VM at all (due to the lack of firmware support), although you should be able to NetBoot a physical machine from a VM running a NetBoot server.

As a matter of policy, we cannot discuss future feature/product plans, although you are not the first person to request NetBoot support here in the VMware Communities, so it's safe to say that the feature request is on our radar.  Smiley Happy

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi thro,

NetBoot, and the Boot Service Discovery Protocol on which it depends, are Apple-specific firmware components which are currently not implemented in a VMware virtual machine.  The NetInstall process in turn depends on NetBoot.  You will not be able to NetBoot or NetInstall within a VM at all (due to the lack of firmware support), although you should be able to NetBoot a physical machine from a VM running a NetBoot server.

As a matter of policy, we cannot discuss future feature/product plans, although you are not the first person to request NetBoot support here in the VMware Communities, so it's safe to say that the feature request is on our radar.  Smiley Happy

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
thro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, understood.

Netboot if/when it does come out will be a huge win though.

cheers.

I use/administer: vSphere 6.0 (ESXi) | Workstation 12.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Vmware Fusion 12.5 | Windows | FreeBSD | Redhat EL
0 Kudos
MagerValp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess we'll be keeping our test machines a while longer. NetBoot support would be a huge boon.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi thro and MagerValp,

Good news!  We've just refreshed the Fusion Technology Preview 2012 with a shiny new June update, and it includes experimental NetBoot support for Mac OS guests.  If you're keen to try it out, please do download it and give it a spin.  Keep in mind that the Technology Preview is prerelease software, so there may be rough edges and you should evaluate whether it's appropriate to use it in your particular environment.  I'd absolutely love to hear your feedback on NetBoot/NetInstall/NetRestore!

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos