VMware Communities
smchar
Contributor
Contributor

need to restore missing vmdk file in Fusion

I am running VMWare Fusion 2.06 using Windows XP Pro SP 3 on an Intel Macbook running Leopard (the version right before Snow Leopard).

I recently had a crash and now when I try to start Windows using Fusion I get this message: "File not found: Windows XP Professional 000007.vmdk. This file is required to power on this virtual machine."

I have browsed in the Windows Professional file on my virtual machine and cannot find that file.

I am not able to use Rollback or revert to a prior snapshot. When I try, I get an error message.

I have all my critical data backed up, but would like to avoid having to start all over with installing my various Windows software programs.

I have read about the possibility of creating a second virtual machine, and then borrowing the missing file from that second virtual machine for the existing virtual machine that is giving me the error message, but I am not clear how that works.

If anyone has a solution I would appreciate hearing it.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
smchar
Contributor
Contributor

Since I had nothing to lose, I played around and fixed this through trial and error.

I discovered that this file reference was to the virtual hard disk, which was not being recognized. I deleted the existing hard disk, then installed a "new" hard disk, and was able to access my Auto protect snapshots, and chose one of those snapshots. Voila! Everything now works fine.

I am now in the process of making a backup of my entire system as well as a system recovery disk (previously I had just backed up my critical data). Lesson learned.

0 Kudos