VMware Communities
thierrys2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

need to change fusion12 chip version

I bought and registered a fusion12 for intel version , is it possible to switch for an apple M1 without paying anything more ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no M1 version you can buy, so there's nothing you can change from that respect.

There currently is an experimental M1 VMware Fusion version,  but it is free (at least for now)

If I"m not mistaken then you can claim back your money within 30 days, but I'm not sure how much trouble that is.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no M1 version you can buy, so there's nothing you can change from that respect.

There currently is an experimental M1 VMware Fusion version,  but it is free (at least for now)

If I"m not mistaken then you can claim back your money within 30 days, but I'm not sure how much trouble that is.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
thierrys2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks I ve downloaded the preview vesion and it works with linux arm based images

still the problem with all my olds VMs and expect VMware to find a way in the future to migrate them ....

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

@thierrys2 wrote:

still the problem with all my olds VMs and expect VMware to find a way in the future to migrate them ....

Sorry to disappoint you, but VMware has been clear that they are not going to emulate the intel CPU on Arm hosts. So for being able to run the old intel-based VMs you need an intel based host.

FWIW, none of the competitors offer this either.

Also note that Apple's Rosetta is only for macOS applications, not for something as low level as a VM.

--
Wil

0 Kudos