VMware Communities
averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

my usb hdd cannot connect to virtual windows 7 pro

i wonder why?

because another two hdd are able to connect

anything i can do for this particular hdd?

it is fusion 6

can help me?

thanks Smiley Happy

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 13.18.05.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 13.18.12.png

16 Replies
digitaldybbuk
Contributor
Contributor

This possibly has nothing to do with Fusion.

Questions:

1. Does it work outside of fusion? (can you access files?)
2. Are you using the power supply with this particular drive? (seems these use a separate supply since they are the larger 3.5" drives)

3. Are the other two drives 2.5"? (this would reiterate the need for using the power supply in 2)

-MC
0 Kudos
averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

wow!!

you are brilliant!!

yes, this one is big one with power supply and another two are 2'5,,

and this 3.5" also working fine everywhere

however, so whats the matter of this power supply hdd? Smiley Sad

cannot connect to fusion at all?

pls help me :'(

0 Kudos
digitaldybbuk
Contributor
Contributor

The only think I could think of is that this device is USB 3.0,

check this microsoft thread and let me know if that brings you to the right solution: USB 3.0 support in Windows 7?

-MC
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From the "Known Issues" section of the VMware Fusion 6 and VMware Fusion 6 Professional Release Notes...

• USB 3.0 devices may not be recognized
    USB 3.0 devices may not be recognized, or may malfunction, when connected to Windows 7 or earlier. Windows 7 does not include support for USB 3.0 devices.

Workaround: Ensure the Settings > USB And Bluetooth > USB Compatibility is set to USB 2.0, then connect the device to your Mac using a USB 2.0 hub or USB 2.0 cable to force USB 2.0 mode.

averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

errr.. how to explain that i can connect this to my previous HP laptop?

it is windows 7 too, however that old laptop still with me and still able to connect to...

the different is that this 3" hdd couldnt connect to windows 7 in virtual machine on my macbook

0 Kudos
averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

another two 2.5" hdd, one is usb3.0, one is usb2.0 old type

they are both ok with this windows 7 in my virtual machine

only this power supply usb3.0 couldnt work

hmm and my macbook's usb port are both 3.0, even my usb hub also 3.0

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 1.50.01.png

0 Kudos
digitaldybbuk
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not understanding. Are you saying that even after setting USB 2.0 compatibility, it still does not work?

Do you get any errors? What message do you get when you set USB Compatibility to USB 2.0?

-MC
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

digitaldybbuk wrote: I'm not understanding. Are you saying that even after setting USB 2.0 compatibility, it still does not work?

It's real simple, at the present time, in VMware Fusion if you want to connect a USB 3.0 Device to a Windows 7 VM then it must be done through a USB 2.0 Hub or use a USB 2.0 Cable and set USB Compatibility to 2.0 and averynkh has only done the latter! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
digitaldybbuk
Contributor
Contributor

So its working for him now? For some reason from his last reply it doesn't seem clear whether that is the case or not :smileysilly:

-MC
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

His last reply is very clear however while he does have some working the one he really wants isn't and thats because he has not plugged it into a USB 2.0 Hub or used a USB 2.0 Cable.  In some cases it requires both setting USB Compatibility to 2.0 and using a USB 2.0 Hub, the latter of which he hasn't tried because his Hub is also 3.0.  So he'll either need to use a USB 2.0 Hub or a USB 2.0 Cable to buffer the USB 3.0 Device that is not working.

The Known Issues in the Release Notes are well documented and must be followed completely to get some USB 3.0 Devices connected to Windows 7 VM.  Windows 8 has in-box USB 3.0 drive however Windows 7 doesn't and hence the workaround until VMware ports the additional USB 3.0 functionality now in VMware Workstation 10 which works with USB 3.0 and Windows 7 that they didn't include in VMware Fusion 6.

0 Kudos
ErocMillsie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware may be able to help you...if you buy VMware Fusion 7...maybe.  Depends whether or not they want to provide a decent level support for the most widely used manufactuer supported guest OS.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro and Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina - OS X (Latest Release) - VMware Fusion (Latest Release)
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ErocMillsie wrote: VMware may be able to help you...if you buy VMware Fusion 7...maybe.

First of all VMware Fusion 7 doesn't exist yet and what I said about it in the other threads to you regarding improved USB support in VMware Fusion 7 when it does exist was conjecture.  At this point there are no guarantee the VMware Workstation 10 USB support will be incorporated in VMware Fusion 7 however we'll find out once the beta becomes available.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Oh, i forgot to say that if averynkh wants his USB 3.0 Drive to work in Windows 7 he needs to do what he has already been told! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

i didnt set, this is default at usb 2.0

0 Kudos
ErocMillsie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Woody,

I know.  I was being sarcastic.  Basically, just venting my frustrations at an issue I'm passionate about.  Obviously, VMware is upsetting a lot more people than just myself with this blatant lack of support for USB 3.0 in Windows 7.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro and Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina - OS X (Latest Release) - VMware Fusion (Latest Release)
averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

hmm so i guess the other method i can try now is to use a USB hub 2.0 (i have one in office) to connect my USB 3.0's 3.5" hdd right?

this latter 3.5"'s port also 3.0, how can i change its cable to 2.0? :smileyconfused:

however, as i also said, i got another 2.5" USB 3.0's hdd,

and it has no problem connect to my virtual windows 7,

he different just is that this one hasnt got power supply but this 3.5" has one

0 Kudos
averynkh
Contributor
Contributor

ok, problem solved,

i plugged my usb hub 2.0 to my usb hub 3.0, truly extension LOL

and my power supply's usb 3.0 drive can be detected in virtual machine Smiley Happy

0 Kudos