VMware Communities
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

multiple ISO disk drives?

hello,

is it possible to attach multiple host .ISOs as multiple unique drive letters? or can you only load one at a time to the guest's optical drive letter?

thanks,

matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, I will explain in a little bit more detail:

You need to add new CD ROM drive. In the Virtual Machine -> settings, in lower left corner you can see a "+" (plus) sign. You need to click it to add a second CD/DVD drive. Note that you need to have the machine powered off to add CD/DVD drive (btw. only thing that you can add when the machine is running is a shared folder).

Then you will have 2 CD/DVD drives in the list and for each of them you will be able to independently choose whatever settings you want (e.g. 2 different ISO images).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

if you add another CD/DVD drive (in Virtual Machine -> Settings), you will see then 2 CD icons in Fusion status bar, and for each you can assign different disk image.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is it possible to attach multiple host .ISOs as multiple unique drive letters? or can you only load one at a time to the guest's optical drive letter?

Yes you can have multiple ISO Images assigned to one Virtual Machine.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive

0 Kudos
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well, when i go to that help menu item, it attempts to load HTML-based help, running from my machine's localhost. yet, the frameset renders completely blank. darn you HTML-based help systems!

0 Kudos
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

boris - when i go to my guest's Settings --> DVD/CD, and change the ISO, it changes the current optical drive. as opposed to adding a new one.

thanks,

matt

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, I will explain in a little bit more detail:

You need to add new CD ROM drive. In the Virtual Machine -> settings, in lower left corner you can see a "+" (plus) sign. You need to click it to add a second CD/DVD drive. Note that you need to have the machine powered off to add CD/DVD drive (btw. only thing that you can add when the machine is running is a shared folder).

Then you will have 2 CD/DVD drives in the list and for each of them you will be able to independently choose whatever settings you want (e.g. 2 different ISO images).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when i go to my guest's Settings --> DVD/CD, and change the ISO, it changes the current optical drive. as opposed to adding a new one.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive

0 Kudos
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ah cool. thanks guys.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

well, when i go to that help menu item, it attempts to load HTML-based help, running from my machine's localhost. yet, the frameset renders completely blank. darn you HTML-based help systems!

Sorry I didn't see this post before I replied again with the Help info and picture.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the Fusion Help Files or your Browser however I'm not sure how you expect to use a product like Fusion without having access to the Help Files so if it's defaulting to Safari then I'd try opening the Help File in Firefox if you have it installed and if not it's nice to have a second Browser for many different reasons. You can get the URL for the Fusion Help File from the Safari Toolbar and copy & paste it into the Firefox. If it comes up okay in Firefox then something not right with Safari and if not then the Help File my be corrupt and you would need to uninstall/reinstall Fusion to fix it.

0 Kudos