VMware Communities
GSFulton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

mouse stops functioning after trying to install kensington expert trackball

I am a new user having installed Fusion with WPpro on a Mac system. Everything was working flawlessly until I tried installing a Kensington expert trackball. That didn't work and I then tried to go back to the regular mouse and it has ceased to function in XPPro. It still works fine on the Mac. I tried installing VMware tools, uninstalling the kensington drivers in xp and in the Mac. Any suggestions? TIA

GSF

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, there are some problems when trying to install the Kingsington drivers in the guest, you may need to uninstall the Kengsington driver and the VMware Tools from the add/remove program panel, reboot, and then reinstall the VMware Tools to restore the mouse.

Let me know if this works for you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, there are some problems when trying to install the Kingsington drivers in the guest, you may need to uninstall the Kengsington driver and the VMware Tools from the add/remove program panel, reboot, and then reinstall the VMware Tools to restore the mouse.

Let me know if this works for you!

0 Kudos
GSFulton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. I tried that once and it didn't work. Maybe I missed something. It's working now. Thanks again.

GSF

0 Kudos
rocketmouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How did you do that without a mouse? I didn't install anything Kensington, but I do have an unusual (ergonomic) mouse so my guess is that's what's causing problems. When I first set up VMware Fusion to use the Boot Camp partition the problem wasn't there, but the next time I started it up it was. During start-up the mouse is working fine (with nothing to do, of course) but as soon as everything is loaded the cursor goes up to the left corner and stays there. It "shivers" when I try to use it. I'd like to try the idea of uninstalling and re-installing the tools but how do I get to the Control Panel? Some keyboard shortcut I don't know about?

0 Kudos
bflad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can get to the Control Panel by using the Windows key (or Apple/Command key on Apple keyboards) to bring up the Start Menu, then use the arrow keys to get to Control Panel. Once in there, if you have it in the default Category View, you'll have to tab to reach Add/Remove Programs. If you're in Classic View, the focus should already allow you to arrow to Add/Remove Programs.

Windows 95/98/Me had the Windows+C shortcut but that never made it to XP...

Hope this helps,

Brian

0 Kudos
rocketmouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much, Brian. There were some problems using the Apple/Command key but in the end I managed to get to where I needed to be. I didn't really expect that uninstalling and re-installing the tools would work so I disabled startup of the "special" (3M/AnirMouse) mouse software as well (couldn't find that in add/remove nor in device manager) and so far the mouse works! Now I'm reluctant to shut down/restart again for fear it might not work the next time. Oh well, it's got to happen some time...

Thanks again,

RocketMouse (Has to do with rocket engines in the Mojave desert, not anything computer mouse.)

0 Kudos