VMware Communities
czkmt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

mouse click

Hi all,

I updated the operating system of my MacBook Pro mid 2012 to Catalina, and also updated VMware Fusion to 11.5.

After that, I noticed the mouse click buttons not working on Windows 10 64 bit, regardless of whether I use the track pad or an external bluetooth mouse.

At first I googled to get related information, but the problem was not solved by editing the vmx file.

Later, I confirmed the problem persists even if I create a new machine to install Windows 10 64 bit. So, It does not seem like a configuration dependent problem (not sure though).

Installing VMWare Tools did not help on this. Moreover, mouse did not work either on another guest OS (Ubuntu).

What is strange is on my another MacBook Pro (2015), everything goes well. The update to Catalina, the update to Fusion 11.5, and after these the guest Windows 10 64 bit seems to work perfectly including mouse pointers and clicks. I could not figure out the difference between the settings between the two machines.

Thanks in advance for any hint regarding this.

Cheers,

Tetsuo

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi czkmt,

Have you quit VMware Fusion and re-open it after you checked the accessibility option?

Can yo try with the following steps and see if it help:

1) Close all running VMs and quit Fusion.

2) Open System Preferences==>Security & Privacy==>Privacy==>Accessibility, remove VMware Fusion and re-add it into the list.

3) Launch VMware Fusion, run Windows 10 VM.

Regards,

-Rick

View solution in original post

18 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi czkmt,

Would you please confirm if you have added VMware Fusion into the list in 'System Preferences==>Security & Privacy==>Privacy==>Accessibility'?

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
czkmt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have repeatedly checked the accessibility option, so that would not be the case.

By the way, just a few hours ago, I have tested the same procedure (create new vm -> install windows 10 64 bit) with Parallels Desktop trial, and I found there was no problems including mouse clicks.

So there seems to be an environment-specific problem that affects VMWare but not Parallels.

RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi czkmt,

Have you quit VMware Fusion and re-open it after you checked the accessibility option?

Can yo try with the following steps and see if it help:

1) Close all running VMs and quit Fusion.

2) Open System Preferences==>Security & Privacy==>Privacy==>Accessibility, remove VMware Fusion and re-add it into the list.

3) Launch VMware Fusion, run Windows 10 VM.

Regards,

-Rick

czkmt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

Thanks a lot. This did work!

So, I see what is important is not to check the presence of "VMWare Fusion" but the action of adding "VMWare Fusion" in Accessibility.

That seems reasonable, though I do not know why that could not be automated here.

Cheers,

Tetsuo

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

PMJI,

That seems reasonable, though I do not know why that could not be automated here.

It cannot be automated as then it would be possible to automate it via malware as well.

IOW apple does not let you automate it.

If you would find a way to automate this then apple would most likely ban your application.

This is a setting that has to be approved by the end user in macOS Vista err.. Catalina.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
czkmt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

Thanks for giving your point of view. The issue is now comprehensible to me.

Cheers,

Tetsuo.

0 Kudos
spacewrench
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any other items to try?  I stopped my VMs, stopped Fusion-11.5, removed the Accessibility preference for VMWare, rebooted, added Accessibility, and restarted Fusion.

The mouse-click behavior in Windows-10 guest is strange: sometimes it looks like it misses the mouse-up, and maybe sometimes it misses the mouse down.  So if I click on a window to bring it to the foreground, then click somewhere else, the foreground window often jumps to the new location (as if I clicked and dragged the title bar).  It is almost impossible to select a file in a directory browser window (I can select if I use tabs and arrow keys to move around, but not with the mouse).

I have a 3-monitor setup with my Late 2015, 27" iMac Retina 5k, and I can't move the mouse out of the guest-OS window without hitting the escape-guest key (command-control).  Before upgrading to Catalina, the mouse would move in and out of the guest OS onto another screen, and guest-OS mouse clicks worked OK.

One other possibly-related problem: I previously used Magnet, a window sizer and manager (this also needed Accessibility permissions, and I did the same delete/reboot/add process).  This manager no longer works with the mouse.  Also, hot corners for workspace do not work, and the auto-hide menu bar in MacOS does not pop up when the mouse is at the bottom of the screen (if I click at the bottom, the MacOS menu pops up).

There seem to be a number of weird problems related to the mouse, screen position, and screen edges.

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello spacewrench,

If I understand correctly, you have mouse problem also with some other applications, not just Fusion, right?

I would suggest you go thru the System Preferences and find any possible settings which are related with mouse or cursor then try to restore these settings to default.

If the problem still persists when mouse click works well with other applications like Magnet or hot corners for workspace, we should consider if it is a Fusion specific issue.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
spacewrench
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I installed a fresh copy of Catalina on a spare disk, and had the same problem.  However, during the initialization, I discovered that MacOS thought my wired-USB mouse, a Razer Orochi, was actually a keyboard.  I disconnected that and put on a Magic Mouse, and everything started working.  In fact, my original upgraded-from-Mojave Catalina, also started working when the Razer mouse was disconnected.

So, SOLVED: if you have trouble with mouse accessibility (hot corners, dock auto-hide, and other weird things), try disconnecting USB mouse/keyboard-like things and use the simplest devices you have.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
blueofuntain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue , its worked now.

Thanks Rick!

0 Kudos
ebmookie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have, perhaps just for the moment, solved the mouse click issue by deleting VMware Fusion from the Accessibility option. I don't know how it will work on restart. If it fails, as I suspect it might, I'll repost here.

P.S. MacOS Vista lol!!!! I have been thinking the same. Deja Vu 13 years later.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry about that. I was a bit frustrated on getting Vimalin ready for macOS Catalina.

Having my app work nicely with Catalina's security popups got me a bit of a frustrated deja vu feeling.

Back in the day with Windows Vista it was easier (then again I might just romanticize that part), it did however feel similar.

Also have seen Catalina referenced as Catavista :smileysilly: by another developer.

re. if your mouse clicks are no longer working and the above doesn't work then have a look at menu -> VMware Fusion -> Preferences

Look for  Gaming: "Auto-detect mouse for gaming" and change that to "never optimize".

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
XRayAdams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the solution. It really works! I've been going crazy yesterday after non of my VM can register mouse click

0 Kudos
winner9878
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked for me!

0 Kudos
vanarkj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just had this same issue with Fusion 11.5.7 and Catalina 10.15.7 and after trying, a couple of times, to remove and re-add Fusion under Security->Accessibility as noted above what finally worked for me was to remove Fusion from the Accessibility list entirely.  

Your mileage may vary.

0 Kudos
rtamesis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Your solution worked in my case after trying everything else including editing the config file of my VM.

0 Kudos
TLMRV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked, thank you. Recently updated OS X to Catalina 10.15.7 and ran into the mouse problem. Happy to have found the solution.

It should be pointed out that unchecking and re-checking VMWare Fusion from the Accessibility list is insufficient. You actually need to remove (select "-") VMWare Fusion from the allowed list, re-install it (select "+") and select it with a checkmark.

0 Kudos
yunzzz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You probably don't need this answer anymore, but I tried everything recommended too and nothing worked. If this will help someone, this worked for me in the end: 

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Input Monitoring > delete "VMWare Fusion" from the list! 

0 Kudos