VMware Communities
magrst
Contributor
Contributor

/mnt/hgfs does not get mounted after reboots for shared folders

Hi,

I am running VMware Fusion 12.2.1 on macOS Monterey 12.1 on an Intel MBP and have a CentOS 7.9.2009 VM guest. When I enable Shared Folders they don't stay mounted under /mnt/hgfs after suspend/reboots of the guest OS; have to disable and re-enable Shared Folders for the directories to get mounted again.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Magnus

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Magnus,

Known issue, from link:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/11.3/rn/VMware-Tools-1130-Release-Notes.html

VMware Tools Issues in VMware Workstation or Fusion

Shared Folders mount is unavailable on Linux VM. If the Shared Folders feature is enabled on a Linux VM while it is powered off, the shared folders mount is not available on restart.

Note: This issue is applicable to VMware Tools running on Workstation and Fusion.

Workaround:

If the VM is powered on, disable and enable the Shared Folders feature from the interface. For resolving the issue permanently, edit /etc/fstab and add an entry to mount the Shared Folders automatically on boot.

For example, add the line:

vmhgfs-fuse   /mnt/hgfs    fuse    defaults,allow_other    0    0

Before you do that, you might want to check that things are setup correctly. Try running the following:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/hgfs/
sudo /usr/bin/vmhgfs-fuse .host:/ /mnt/hgfs/ -o subtype=vmhgfs-fuse,allow_other

also see:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74650

hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
magrst
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Any idea when this issue will be fixed permanently as I see it is still listed under latest VMware Tools v13.3.5 as well? It's kinda annoying in a dynamic environment where one is provisioning temporary builds with many different Linux distributions and versions in the mix...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Magnus,

@magrst wrote:

Thanks, Any idea when this issue will be fixed ...

I don't work for VMware, so I have no idea.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
devzax
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me. many thanks

0 Kudos